Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed my new soft top. Bought a Softopper, tan with tint.

Immediate thoughts :

Top, header bracket, snaps are built really well. Poles absolutely suck for how much it cost.

Crazy tight. Can barely get it to snap towards the tailgate.

So tight that I basically bent the framework that snaps to the top above the tailgate. I think I'll be looking to get a replacement top frame. For now I think I'll find another rod/pipe to stick inside to bolster the strength.

Overall I'm happy with it. Aesthetically it looks amazing. Build quality is pretty nice for the most part. Seems quite water-proof (washed it yesterday). Damn expensive.

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Plant Shade Grass Tree Tints and shades
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Plant Shade Grass Tree Tints and shades

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I want to get the same one you got but I need a rollbar for my daughters car seat. Got some more saving to do.
Good to know about the top frame. Whenever I do go this route I’ll keep that in mind.

Last time I looked into this they had some delays on product. How long did it take you to get yours?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1991 Centurion Classic C350 - 7.3 IDI / E4OD
93 Posts
Sorry to hear you bent some of the bars during the installation. I had the first Softopper they sold for a RAM 1500 with Rambox years ago, and it took a few rounds of help from them on the phone to get replacement bars designed that fit the vehicle properly. That said, I felt they had some amazing support, and I loved the product once we worked out the kinks.

If you don't mind, I'd love to see a picture of it "fully retracted" as advertised. The one on my pickup compressed forward behind the cab, and I'm assuming this would compress towards the tailgate? I didn't see any photos on their site with it compressed either unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,284 Posts
I just put one on my Tacoma and yes the fit is tight, had to pull and yank like crazy to get it snapped on. The biggest disappointment was the big “ made in Mexico” tag on the canopy then I noticed they changed the “made in Colorado to “made in N. America” on the website.Softopper is now owned by Bestop. I’m happy with it let’s just see how it holds up.

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer- 351W
126 Posts
I will be getting one of these once I install a 4 point cage. Do you think it would lay onto a cage better and support the rods better? Bestop owning them could be a good thing. They are a really quality company. Wish I had bought one when they were still made in CO though.

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,519 Posts
@NHTriumph it looks great on your sharp Bronco. Does your say Made in America?

It's a shame they've shifted at least some of the production to Mexico. I just looked at their site, and under "Additional Information" it says:
Quality/Durability
Colorado made from the highest quality materials.

Just wondering if they missed that when changing their website or if they're still making the Bronco tops in Colorado. Hopefully the employees are still gainfully employed.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,284 Posts
@NHTriumph it looks great on your sharp Bronco. Does your say Made in America?

It's a shame they've shifted at least some of the production to Mexico. I just looked at their site, and under "Additional Information" it says:
Quality/Durability
Colorado made from the highest quality materials.

Just wondering if they missed that when changing their website or if they're still making the Bronco tops in Colorado. Hopefully the employees are still gainfully employed.
I called them and bitched about it but it probably fell on deaf ears. Bestop bought out Softopper so we know how that goes, They still use the Softopper.com website for orders where it states "made in CO" but on the Bestop web site it says "Made in N.America". The top is still made very well but the customer service sucks and wait times are crazy long

·
Premium Member
1981 Bronco, 4.9L, ZF5, NP208, Detroit Truetracs, 3.55 gears, 31" Wranglers front and rear
2,519 Posts
They still use the Softopper.com website for orders where it states "made in CO" but on the Bestop web site it says "Made in N.America".
Softopper.com also says under 'General' it says:
Where are Softoppers manufactured?
Softoppers are designed and manufactured in North America. The fabric is made in the USA and as many materials as possible are purchased in the USA.

Then in the other place, as I noted above, it says Colorado made. That's why I asked @NHTriumph the question. Doesn't look like he's following his thread.

Reactions: JScatt

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
676 Posts
Sorry to hear you bent some bars. I've owned 3 softoppers now on 3 different Broncos. A couple of things I've learned.

1. Heat. The soft top is MUCH easier to snap when it has been warmed up. This can be a real issue if you keep it on year round (winter). But it will loosen a tad over time.
2. Snap the side on the cab first. I know the directions say to start with the rear, but that never worked for me. It's much easier to pull the fabric around the rear bar with the cab side attached.
3. Adjust the top straps. Those two straps connecting the top bars are really important. They can be adjusted to raise/lower the height about an inch or two. And that will allow the corners to snap much easier.

Reactions: CrazyBRONCOguy

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
8,273 Posts
as @Siggy89 suggest I also start at the cab then work from the front to back as evenly as possible when putting my soft top on. I haven't had any issues.
I also did not adjust the bars tight until the whole top was installed the first time, then tensioned it up with everything in place.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,537 Posts
bought my most recent softtopper a couple years ago. Pretty sure it was my 2nd or maybe 3rd..That one definitely came from Colorado..was not aware they got bought out by Bestop and moved production to Mexico..if that's the case, that's a real bummer..Anyway, I've found proper care and cleaning of the topper to be critical, especially if you live in a place where it's really hot and you keep the top on year round like I do. I bought the bestop cleaning and protection products which work great.

In all the years I've had mine, I've only replaced the canopy. The bars have held up fine, no issues with bending..As suggested by everyone on this thread, start with the topper in the sun and the front most snaps working your way back..Mine buttons up super easy now.

You can see the softtopper durability thread I started here..https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/soft-top-softopper-durability.284729/

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer Bronco 5.8L, E4OD, Manual Warn Hubs, Auto Transfer case, 3.55 open diff, 31” BFG’s
132 Posts
You have pictures of it rolled down and buttoned up?

·
Registered
1990 EB, 5.0
676 Posts
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Plant Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

·
Registered
1991 Centurion Classic C350 - 7.3 IDI / E4OD
93 Posts
Still no picks of it retracted. Is that not a mode for the Bronco? My bed cover from them closed up against the cab, so I'm guessing these would do it against the tailgate?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts