Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After mda mentioned SofTopper in my ARO2000 Thread, I decided to investigate further.

I called today and left a voicemail. Suzy returned my call, and advised me that they have just finished their prototype for the '80-96 Broncos, and are expecting to begin production within 4-6 weeks. She e-mailed me pics of the prototype as well as the install instructions for the Gen 3 K-5 Blazer top (I know, it's a GM product, but it's essentially the same installation).

These tops will mount in the factory hardtop holes, with no drilling whatsoever. The top will snap to the frame (sorry fellas, no FasTrack option available yet). They will be available in Black, Gray, Tan, and White, just like all of SofTopper's other tops. Price point is going to be in the $750 range.

See pics below:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that is one ugly soft top. The window lines on it don't work with the Bronc's lines at all.

Screamin'

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, but in my opinion, that is one ugly soft top. The window lines on it don't work with the Bronc's lines at all.

Screamin'
That was my first thought, too. I'm just posting this information for those who might be interested. :thumbup

·
Registered
201 Posts
You know, for what these companies want for a new soft top, a person could spend just a couple hundred more and fab up a roll cage for the back half. Then have a local tent and awning place sew up a custom top for it. That's what I'm going to do someday....

Screamin':toothless

·
Administrator
22,857 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
i dont really like it. I hate how soft tops are soooo d*** expensive why are they? arent they just cloth and a couple of poles?

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, I spoke with Suzy at SofTopper again about the side windows.

Apparently they used the dies for the Blazer tops to make the windows for the prototypes. They are having a new die made specifically for the Bronco tops -- their engineer said they modeled the die after the original hardtop windows, so they should be almost exact replicas (except clear vinyl, of course). They will match the lines much, much better than the ones on the prototype.

The new windows will be on the production models.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ugly. The window is to square and as already stated does not really follow body lines. Maybe if it looked like this it would be better, I also shortend it and it looked ok but decided against it. Also the top is not level in the rear with the roof so it really make it look weird..

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ugly. The window is to square and as already stated does not really follow body lines. Maybe if it looked like this it would be better, I also shortend it and it looked ok but decided against it. Also the top is not level in the rear with the roof so it really make it look weird..

When the tops go into production, the windows will resemble the factory side windows. I think what you've done there is very close to what they'll end up looking like.

As for the height difference front to rear, that's kind of SofTopper's thing. If you look at their pickup caps, they incorporate that shape in every one. I really don't know why, but I've noticed that.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
The windows need to be shaped so they don't look like a camper...

But I like that they bolt to the factory holes.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Other than the side windows I like it. Keep us updated.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I think they may be pricing themselves out of the market at $750. $500 is a good price point if they want to sell at a good volume.

·
Premium Member
8,516 Posts
might look better in black. I still like to see a top where the side zip out like they do on the jeep. And for the record, I think jeep has the best tops around - at least on my 2005 jeep they do. :)

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I think they may be pricing themselves out of the market at $750. $500 is a good price point if they want to sell at a good volume.
I guess I should have looked closer.

Yes at that price, even when only a difference of $250, I would have no interest.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
They need to put the snaps that hold the sides and back up on the inside.To much stuff on the outside to get snagged on Trees.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My FSB is tan, so that would look awesome on it, and I'd really like a softop for mine. REALLY like one.

But for that price I know I wont' be getting one : /

1 - 20 of 25 Posts