Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of iron GT40 heads off a '97 Mountaineer w/5.0L. Mileage unknown. These have had nothing done to them since I pulled them. They'll come with the factory rockers, pushrods, and head bolts. Asking $200.

I had a buyer for these locally shortly after pulling them, but the guy backed out (of course), so I figured I'd see if anyone on here is interested before I put them back on my local market. It's been a while since I pulled them.

Local pick up would be great. If you're in southern Idaho I'd be willing to make a relatively short drive (ex. 20-30 miles one way) from where I'm at to meet you or drop them off at your place or a much longer drive (couple hours one way) if you wanna spot the cost of fuel. I'd also ship them, but that's of course on your dime and these are of course very heavy. I have no problem taking them to UPS and seeing what they'd charge to ship.

I'll be listing these locally again sometime next week. Thanks.

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,005 Posts
Damn I wish I were closer to you for this. I’d love a set for my current engine build, but all I can find locally are GT-40P heads (without hitting up the JY). Shipping would probably almost double your price. If no one bites locally, let me know what shipping cost would be if you don’t mind.

·
Registered
78 Custom 460 NP435 NP205 Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition 4.56 Gears Front/Rear Grizzly Lockers
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn I wish I were closer to you for this. I’d love a set for my current engine build, but all I can find locally are GT-40P heads (without hitting up the JY). Shipping would probably almost double your price. If no one bites locally, let me know what shipping cost would be if you don’t mind.

I actually had the same thought when I saw your thread regarding your 351.

What's your zip?

I'll see how much these things weigh and take some measurements.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,328 Posts
Even if it costs you $200 to have them shipped (my guess would be closer to $100), it's still a good deal. I'm seeing GT40's go for $300-400 as-pulled.

Whoever backed out is an idiot.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wellllll. According to my bathroom scale, they come in at just under 57lbs each. Approximate measurements are 20" L x 7.5" W x 6.5" H.

Using the UPS calculator online it's giving me about a $250 shipping estimate. Ouch.

The UPS site also mentions something about a flat rate shipping that they offer, that I've never heard of (I don't ship a lot), that they call Simple Rate. According to the calculator for that one, if I can somehow shave the weight down to 50lb (remove the valves and springs maybe?) I can send each one for $25 a piece. Wouldn't that be something. lol. Then I could put the valve train into a separate small box and send that by itself, most likely all for less than $250. Might be something to look into.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if it costs you $200 to have them shipped (my guess would be closer to $100), it's still a good deal. I'm seeing GT40's go for $300-400 as-pulled.

Whoever backed out is an idiot.
Well, I was asking for more than $200, but I was fully expecting to get "talked down" to what I was really wanting. I hate that whole back and forth crap, but people wanna feel like they're winning or something on the deal.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,005 Posts
Wellllll. According to my bathroom scale, they come in at just under 57lbs each. Approximate measurements are 20" L x 7.5" W x 6.5" H.

Using the UPS calculator online it's giving me about a $250 shipping estimate. Ouch.

The UPS site also mentions something about a flat rate shipping that they offer, that I've never heard of (I don't ship a lot), that they call Simple Rate. According to the calculator for that one, if I can somehow shave the weight down to 50lb (remove the valves and springs maybe?) I can send each one for $25 a piece. Wouldn't that be something. lol. Then I could put the valve train into a separate small box and send that by itself, most likely all for less than $250. Might be something to look into.
Hmmm....I was planning on installing new valve springs anyway because I’ll be installing a bigger cam. So if it’ll save on shipping if the valve train is removed, that would work for me. Make sure of that simple rate shipping before you do all that though. If it’ll save that much, I have no problem throwing you some extra dough for your trouble of stripping the valve train off.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm....I was planning on installing new valve springs anyway because I’ll be installing a bigger cam. So if it’ll save on shipping if the valve train is removed, that would work for me. Make sure of that simple rate shipping before you do all that though. If it’ll save that much, I have no problem throwing you some extra dough for your trouble of stripping the valve train off.

I'll definitely look into it some more. I just know, according to their website, they have a cubic inch limit, which these heads fit within. Maybe my UPS store has some info on it.

I don't think removing the valves and springs would be a big deal, my oreilly's should have a rentable tool for it.

I'll let you know what I find out.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,328 Posts
I know AutoZone carries a valve spring loaner tool.

Always check FedEx before committing to UPS' rates. They're usually quite a bit cheaper. Also, never ship via either without an account... You'll save 30-40% with one. If the recipient can bill it to an account, they can set up the label for you to print as the sender.

I kinda figured you were asking more than $200 locally. :)

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,005 Posts
I know AutoZone carries a valve spring loaner tool.

Always check FedEx before committing to UPS' rates. They're usually quite a bit cheaper. Also, never ship via either without an account... You'll save 30-40% with one. If the recipient can bill it to an account, they can set up the label for you to print as the sender.

I kinda figured you were asking more than $200 locally. :)
Good idea, fodder - I have a UPS account. I’ll look into that @Doosenberry.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,350 Posts
Fedex. They are 30% cheaper to start. Generally a day faster too.

Signing up for an account saves 8-16% depending on shipment method.

I shipped a complete thirdmember and stub shaft to a guy from KS to MI. I built a crate on a small pallet I had cut down to size and bolted the thridmember to that. Shipping was under 200. Cant recall how much exactly.

Shipped two light but oversized boxes of supercab interior panels to MI as well. Ups wanted 300. Fedex wanted 200.

Size matters more than weight until you get to overweight charges.

Residential delivery is a 4 dollar surcharge, no matter what

·
Super Moderator
29,107 Posts
Yo,
Consider Greyhound shipping @ Instant Quote
MAX 100 POUNDS PER ITEM
Package Size (Max 29"x47"x82")

·
Registered
989 Posts
Shipping to 64029?

I'm pretty interested

·
Registered
989 Posts
There is also shipping via amtrack. That is insanely cheap.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,005 Posts

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, I'm in no rush, so we can figure this out.

@Burntoutaccountant if this doesn't work out for @MS88Bronc I'll put you next in line.

If you guys want to calculate shipping online to give yourselves an idea, my zip is 83301. I won't be checking anything other than the online calculator myself until Monday anyway.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My current 96 Bronco came from Middlekauff Lincoln/Mercury in Salt Lake, I may be OCD enough to bring it to Twin Falls for an oil change at Middlekauff Ford and to pick up some GT40 heads :)
View attachment 169261

The sale is currently pending. I'm confident it will be final, though.

I think in order for me to believe you're actually from Salt Lake that I'd need you to sing the Beehive Bail Bonds jingle for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts