Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got the same ol' 89 351w c6 and its not turning over. I did an oil change today and decided to degrease the engine. I covered the distributor, battery, starter solenoid, most wires, and the k&n fipk. I hosed it off after degreasing and it won't start. I'm getting a charge and my radio and everything else works it just won't turn over. Here's where the confusing part comes in. I can jump the starter across the solenoid and start the truck but i can't start it with just the key. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Starter relay is the correct term. See if the little wire going to the relay has power when the key is turned, if it has 12 VDC then the starter relay is bad. If there is no voltage at the relay with the key turned to the start position then it could be the ingintion cylinder or switch. I guess the little wire could have also just come off it's post(check the easiest stuff first).

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the solenoid. I got a new solenoid at my work (AutoZone) and hooked it up and it still didn't turn over with the key. Don't know if the wire is getting spark but I will check it and get back. Any other help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Neutral Safety switch. Don't know if it is the same on yours, but on my 92 sometimes I have to "wiggle" my gear selector back and forth to get the contacts to engage so I can start my truck with the key. I just found this out last week, so I hope this helps solve your problem. I also have to do this if I go to put it in Low range since I have the electronic pushbutton transfer case.

·
0 Posts
Any other help will be appreciated.

see if the little wire going to the relay has power when the key is turned, if it has 12 VDC then the starter relay is bad. If there is no voltage at the relay with the key turned to the start position then it could be the ingintion cylinder or switch. I guess the little wire could have also just come off it's post(check the easiest stuff first).
:beer

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. My dad is taking the Bronc to Accel Automotive at 8 tomorrow and he's gonna look at it there. Don't know if it's the neutral safety switch or the ignition switch but I wigled the shifter and tried it in neutral and it still didn't turn w/ the key. Thanks for all of the help but im gonna have the guy look at it. Good to have nice people online though. Thanks.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you got your rep. solenoid at the zone you might want to take it back and get a rep. from a different store. I've had probably 4 bad ones from there. But I'd really get out a voltmeter and check you wires at the solenoid, but first is the small wire hooked up on the correct terminal of it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea I hooked it up to the right terminal. The guy from Excel (not accel) just called and he said its the neut. safety switch. Don't know how water in the engine compartment would hurt it but whatever. Getting a new one for $100. (GAWK!) Gotta pay it though. He's also fixing my gearbox (too much play) and my idle. (probably the egr or something but I didnt want to just throw parts at it) Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'm having a similar problem. I try turning the key and I just hear nothing at all. I put the key in the "on" position and put a wire from the positive terminal to the solenoid and got the engine to turn over. However, I've been having a starting issue already (perhaps a bad fuel pump) so it never did get started and the battery eventually died.

I have an multimeter and tried testing the voltage on the solenoid. I'm going to assume that the little solenoid mounted on the wall next to the battery is the starter solenoid. There are four points coming off of it. I had my wife hold it in the start position and tested the connection between each point (1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 2-3, etc.) and they all read zero. Will I get a voltage reading if the ignition switch isn't working? I've tried moving around the gear selector and starting but nothing happens.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the ignition switch isn't working, you will not get a reading at the solenoid. Replace your solenoid (about 14.99 for a good one at AutoZone) and see if the engine will turn over. I had this problem shortly after purchasing my Bronc last year. I replaced the ignition switch and the starter just to find out it was the solenoid in the first place. Do the cheap, easy stuff first. Like RLKBOB said.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts