Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just orderd a 12v 85 amp Solenoid for my 78 bronco! When i tap my old solenoid the truck tries to start! Sometimes when I turn the key it keeps tring to start with the key back in the normal position. I've been going through quite a few. The wire between the solenoid and the starter gets real hot then melts. Why? When that wire melts my Alt is useless it wont charge my battery. I checked the wire from the starter to the solenoid which is only ONE wire? Is that right? and I replaced the fusable link from the Alt to the solenoid. Could the problem just be the Solenoid? Im still waiting to get the new Solenoid. I just wanted to see if I leaving anything out. Thanks joe

·
Registered
242 Posts
I just orderd a 12v 85 amp Solenoid for my 78 bronco! When i tap my old solenoid the truck tries to start! Sometimes when I turn the key it keeps tring to start with the key back in the normal position. I've been going through quite a few. The wire between the solenoid and the starter gets real hot then melts. Why? When that wire melts my Alt is useless it wont charge my battery. I checked the wire from the starter to the solenoid which is only ONE wire? Is that right? and I replaced the fusable link from the Alt to the solenoid. Could the problem just be the Solenoid? Im still waiting to get the new Solenoid. I just wanted to see if I leaving anything out. Thanks joe
Yes, that is correct, only one wire from the starter relay to the starter.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
If you are melting the power wire to the starter you have some serious amp draw issues. either something is touching ground or your starter may be partially shorted to gorund internally. I would remove the starter and have it tested at a parts store. Replace ALL burnt wiring with the same guage or larger diameter wire, being careful how you route it and then re-check for problems.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
Sounds to me like the starter is running even after the engine starts. Pull the coil wire and try starting it and let the key go and see if the starter still turns. If so the problem is on the solenoid trigger wiring. The starter draws a huge amount of power so that would heat up and melt the insulation on the cable....and also burn out the solenoid.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay I contacted the place that was shipping my solenoid and there on back order so I heard from someone that I could use a boat solenoid ! So I grabbed on its a 12volt 85 amp 4 post solenoid just like an auto one it just has a rubber waterproofing on it.
I installed it. I checked the grounds I actually added (2) One from my battery to truck and one from the firewall to the truck. On the solenoid I have the positive on the right side with the rear power window , ignition wire and instrument wire, and altenator wire, and the starter wire on the other side. I have (2) wires that had boots on them. I put one on each of the small screws.
After all this I go to start the truck and the Starter hangs up continuing to spin while its running, I shut the truck and its still going, the only way i can stop it is to tap the solenoid. why?
Also the wire from the altenator melts so I put an in-line fuse to stop it from melting. But it blows the 30 amp fuse when I start the truck ! Why? Thx for all your help guys !:whiteflag

·
Registered
242 Posts
One other thing, the starter and the altenator are only 2 months old . Thx
I put 2 re-manned starters on in one day that BOTH did the same thing out of the box. Age means nothing in this "age" of cheap rebuild and parts. Get that starter tested, sounds like it is hanging up

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Could be you have the 2 smaller wires backwards, these only go on a certain way and are not interchangable. The red wire should go on the "S" or fwd post. Could be something in your ignition switch as well and is not breaking contact the way it should when you release it from the start position.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a stupid question for you guys! It just dawned on me. My parts store keeps giving me a starter with a selonoid attached to it ! I already have a 4 post solenoid attached to my fender well !! Thats wrong right ?? There should only be one solenoid right ? Well I bought a new Starter without a solenoid attached to it and a new 70amp Altenator to go with my new 12volt 85amp solenoid. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I got a stupid question for you guys! It just dawned on me. My parts store keeps giving me a starter with a selonoid attached to it ! I already have a 4 post solenoid attached to my fender well !! Thats wrong right ?? There should only be one solenoid right ? Well I bought a new Starter without a solenoid attached to it and a new 70amp Altenator to go with my new 12volt 85amp solenoid. Wish me luck.
Your alternator has nothing to do with the vehicle starting; it only runs the electrical system and charges the battery AFTER you start.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I have a Haynes 78-79 repair book and it shows for the solenoid; The Positive (RED) wire- (BLK/YEL-BLK/RED)-All goes to the positive side of the solenoid. Then a (RED/BLU) to one of the smaller studs. Then the (single starter wire) to the other smaller stud. Then to the other large stud a (BRN) wire. I tried this and all I get is a clicking sound. I know the starter wire goes on the the other large stud but this is what the book says.

Anyone on Long Island that can swing by and help ? lol.

·
Super Moderator
27,017 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I replaced yet another solenoid and the truck started right up ! I took around the block everything was great. I shut it down went inside came out 20min later and click, click,nothing! I think im done messing with it ! I need this truck running. :whiteflag

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I didn't give up !! I think i have it pegged ! My battery has 525/630 cranking amps. My truck calls for 850 CCA and my motor that comes out of a 1977 Lincoln Continental also calls for a 850 CCA. Could the battery not have enough to crank this beast? Plus this battery has been jumped repeatedly for the past year! The battery stays at 11.78 volts and doesn't start the truck it always needs a jump even after its has been running for 20 mins. I might go get a new battery. What'cha think ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well I didn't give up !! I think i have it pegged ! My battery has 525/630 cranking amps. My truck calls for 850 CCA and my motor that comes out of a 1977 Lincoln Continental also calls for a 850 CCA. Could the battery not have enough to crank this beast? Plus this battery has been jumped repeatedly for the past year! The battery stays at 11.78 volts and doesn't start the truck it always needs a jump even after its has been running for 20 mins. I might go get a new battery. What'cha think ?
I have an early 70's 460 in my Bronco; I have a used $20 675 CCA battery that I have killed 5 times.... I chave charged it at it starts me up no problem at all. 11.78v is low, reccomend at least 12-13v. Better check your charging system as well. The REAL rule of thumb on batteries is 1 cold cranking amp for every 1 cubic inch. Many times the larger battery size is due to a lot of accessories that pull more amps. But for starting purposes, you battery is adeqaute. By the sounds of your problems, you have something grounding somewhere. Blowing fuses and melting wires is usually linked to a bad ground or a direct short somewhere.

Take the battery in and have it load tested; then you will know for sure before you buy another one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
11.7v is not a fully charged battery. With the truck off it should be around 12.6, with it running around 14.

Do not start putting in fuses or higher amp solenoids to avoid the real problem. You have something wrong in your setup, find it and fix it or you'll risk a fire.

You can have a PMGR starter (with the solenoid on the starter) and a fneder solenoid. That's how mine is setup. Look up the wiring instructions for this setup on Fireguy's website or others. It is very simple and foolproof. Upgrade the red wire from the fender to the starter with a 2ga at least.

I can take some pics if you can't figure it out. Let me know.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts