Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on swapping a dana 44 and 9 inch into my 1987 bronco. I have the front axle under there and it came out at about 8 inches of lift. I want about 4" so i was thinking about it and i measured the bottom of my coil springs and decided if i cut 3 coils off it would take away about 4 inches. I also have a lot of positive caster so that would help correct that. I know it would make the ride quality shit but i don't really care. anyway heres some pictures cause everyone loves pictures:thumbup

before
[/IMG]

donor truck

salute

axle going under

adjustable drag link

how it sits now. i am cheap so i'm using 4 inch blocks for the rear lift to level it out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If you change the length of your coils, your caster is gonna change drasticly too.
yep, that would be the plan. Negative caster is when the knuckles are sloped down pointing towards the ground in front of the vehicle right? I've been looking at diagrams and thats what i've got out of them. So i think i have negative caster not positive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why nnot do a shackle flip in the rear? You can reuse your factory brackets & shackles & net @ 4" of rear lift. Then you don't have to worry about crappy blocks. You're gonna have to adjust your pinion angle either way. I'm getting my brackets from Wild Horses. $150. Not too bad. Plus I have some F350 shackles.
Looks pretty good so far. Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'll probably buy some lift springs for the rear at some point but i'm in high school and this is my daily driver so i need to have it going again soon. I have been driving my f150 but i have to put like 100 bucks into it every month or so just for maintence stuff so i'm hoping to have the bronco back together soon. And thanks, I'll post up more pictures as i get more done

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
I would suggest moving your coil buckets before cutting the coils. Especially when you change your mind in the future and want that little extra lift.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally finished it! Front came out to 8 inches of lift. I am gonna start swapping in the 9 inch and lifting the rear tomorrow. I drove it around my neighborhood and there isn't bump steer that bad. After i parked it i noticed gear oil leaking on the passenger side knuckle. I guess i didn't spend enough money on it yet. Heres some pictures
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Why nnot do a shackle flip in the rear? You can reuse your factory brackets & shackles & net @ 4" of rear lift. Then you don't have to worry about crappy blocks. You're gonna have to adjust your pinion angle either way. I'm getting my brackets from Wild Horses. $150. Not too bad. Plus I have some F350 shackles.
Looks pretty good so far. Good luck.
you can use the rear leaf springs front factory brackets from the donnor truck to do the shackle flip....:duh

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
will the shackles fit in there?
I believe they will.....you have to measure the width.....if not, you will have to get one from newer model(like your own front spring bracket) ....try searching "shackle flip" and you should find someone who allready did it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
doneish

Its been a while since i've updated this but the bronco is drivable now and sitting on 35s. I have to replace the wheel bearings in the rear axle and get some angle shims for the rear axle also. Heres some pictures of it. I got sick of working on the axles so i put a new exhaust on it, painted it camo, rolled bedliner in the whole inside, put a new stereo and speakers in, put some running lights up top and fixed the rear window.

here it is sitting on some 29s right after i finished putting the rear axle in.

here it is on some 32s

flexed on 32s

bedliner

flexed with 35s

1 - 11 of 11 Posts