Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curently in the process of fitting disc brakes to my 9 inch rear axle. In the hopes of being able to use stuff I already have, I decided to use the front calipers from an old Subaru I used to have.

The benefit to these is that Subarus have the e-brake on the front wheels, as evidenced by the lever you see in the the first pic.

However, as you can see, the caliper can only accept a rotor that is 3/4" thick or less. The opening is actually 7/8" but the pads are new so there is only roughly 3/4" between them.

I would rather avoid having to re-drill some Subaru rotors to fit the Ford wheel bolt pattern so does anybody know of an application that uses a non-vented rotor with the 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern? Did any Ford, Jeep or International with this pattern come with solid rotors? TIA.

Sean

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
That's a really small rotor...but the back isn't the most important brake setup either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fawking noob!

I had tried to fit my Samurai rotors onto the 9" hub and while the bolt pattern was the same, the rotor wouldn't go on without binding a little. I had to clean the holes a little and it goes on. I looked up the specs for the Suzuki rotors and the stud is 12mm while the Ford is 1/2"=12.7mm so I figured I would need to drill them out a little even with new rotors. From this writeup appears that the Suzuki rotors fit well so I will get a new one and make sure before I fab my brackets.

Flame away, I deserve it.:twak

Sean :doh0715:

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I doubt that setup will offer enough stopping power to be worth the effort

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ToddACimer said:
I doubt that setup will offer enough stopping power to be worth the effort
On the rear of a Samurai? I think it will have too much and I will need to put a prop valve in there to limit it. I am not using the Samurai master cylinder either. It will either be a B2 unit or a fullsize unit if I can make it fit.

Sean :toothless

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I guess I got confused and I thought you were building some super hick bronco setup

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
THats not a good idea, stick with CJ rotors, Caddy Calipers and S10 hoses for 300 bucks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
81Bronk36 said:
THats not a good idea, stick with CJ rotors, Caddy Calipers and S10 hoses for 300 bucks
No smilies so I have to think you're serious there.

My way is free. And it's not like I'm using parts that I don't think can do the job. Also no offence but $300 is a little steep for a DIY disc brake kit for a 9". Check out these links.

http://fordfuelinjection.com/bronco/brakes.html

http://www.streetrodstuff.com/Products/2058/

For the price, the Ford Racing kit is hard to beat!

Sean :beer

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
My bad the DIY I was thinking of WAS Ryans, so its S10 Calipers, not Caddy's I think if you run caddy's and a little higher priced prop valve it comes out to $300. Not bad considering I almost spent that rebuilding my drums.

Also, this is an ok idea too. If your running a 9" in the back of a sammi, I THINK the drums would be sufficient enough and not involve as much fab work. Now if your going threw a lot of mud I can see where it could be better though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
81Bronk36 said:
My bad the DIY I was thinking of WAS Ryans, so its S10 Calipers, not Caddy's I think if you run caddy's and a little higher priced prop valve it comes out to $300. Not bad considering I almost spent that rebuilding my drums.

Also, this is an ok idea too. If your running a 9" in the back of a sammi, I THINK the drums would be sufficient enough and not involve as much fab work. Now if your going threw a lot of mud I can see where it could be better though.
Oh yeah, up here I would say that probably 90% of the wheeling we do is mud. The drums would certainly be adequate as far as stoping performance is concerned but in my case, I would need to buy new backing plates, shoes, wheel cylinders, drums and hardware kits to get it back together. Like you mentioned, it can be pretty expensive!

Sean :toothless

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
davids78bronco said:
This isn't for a Bronco? Then why is it here? :shrug
Because this is where the information is. Maybe I should go on a Zook site and ask them? :histerica

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
davids78bronco said:
again, then what is this doing here, if you're building this for a suzuki?
As I stated before, because this is where I thought I could find the information I needed. I was refered to this site a while back when I was looking for help with my fullsize Ford hardware. I used to own an '80 F-150 with a swapped in '78 HP D44 but unfortunately it has rusted away beyond repair so I salvaged what I could from it and started a new project. Granted my Samurai project is not a Bronco (or even a Ford for that matter) but other than the body and frame, the rest will be all Ford running gear. A Ford 4.0 backed by a C5/C4 and a homemade dual t-case setup using two BW1350 cases all running on a full-width 9" rear and HP Dana44 front.

So I appologize if I may have overstepped my bounds here, but in my defence, I believe I did choose the correct section to post this in and I did volunteer a few links that could prove helpful to someone wanting to install a decent set of disc brakes on their Bronco. All I was after was some info, not a confrontation.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My little brother has a suzuki. I kick it whenever I see it. He's not allowed to park in my driveway either. But, I guess this is some sort of attempt at building a ford out of a zook....

Junkyard S-10 hoses are cheap. Pick&Pull has them out here in CA for $13 each. Caddillac calipers are around $25 each.....New CJ rotors are priced between $40-80 for regular ones. Of course you can pay more for anything you want........but I don't see this as having to be a $300 job. People part stuff out all the time, you just have to have the time to wait for the right prices. I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble to fit those zook calipers...Especially trying to find 12 mm 5 on 5.5 rotors Good luck with your little car :brownbag

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bluesquirrel said:
.......But, I guess this is some sort of attempt at building a ford out of a zook........... Good luck with your little car :brownbag
I'm just helping this little guy to grow up is all! :thumbup

I get smacked around no matter where I go so I've got pretty thick skin. The Zook guys hate me 'coz I'm putting all this Ford stuff in it. You guys hate me 'coz it's not a Bronco. Americans hate me because it a LWB Sammy. Canadians hate me 'coz it a LWB Sammy. :whiteflag I just wanna build something a little more hardcore than my 4 Runner.

Now before you flame me because it's a Toyota, let me tell you that I am swapping in a 351W/C6 in it and it will eventually be rolling on 1 ton axles, most likely a HP D60 front to match the t-case output. The front coil suspension will be a Ford radius arm setup for simplicity and parts availability. Is this close enough? :drinkbud

Sean :thumbup

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Good God man that is a sweet yota. And we don't hate ya, I think the others were confused, and maybe a little offended by trying to save a buck to go threw the motions to put crap on your axle.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts