Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased Spicer 2-94-28x u-joint u-bolts for the 1330 u-joint on the front driveshaft, transfer case side. Bolt diameter is good but they aren’t long enough. I can barely get the nuts started with the lock washers on there, and tightening them up only pulls in about half the nut threads. Caps fully seated in the yoke. Old ones are in a metal dumpster of unknown location.

Is anybody anal enough to know the P/N for the proper u-bolts in this spot? My first auto parts house visit came up empty with what the computer told him should be in there. I was hoping to avoid driving around town to find the appropriate length bolts.

thanks much!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Officially entering SOS territory.

Spent 15 minutes at another parts house going through various u-bolt sets with no luck. Everybody’s computer wants to sell me what looks like a 1330 big cap (1.125”) u bolt. The spread between legs is significantly different. You can’t mix them up.

I installed a Spicer SDH-5-1330X for the Tcase side of front driveshaft. 1.0625” caps on all four legs.

Spicer’s website says the u-bolt kit works for 1310 and 1330 joints.

I measured the yoke cap seat diameter at its “splitline” and it’s right around 1.060” (measuring under truck with a 6” vernier so excuse the imprecision). With the caps seated, there’s about 0.270 of bolt thread exposed behind the yoke. The lock washer is near 0.080 compressed. I won’t have full nut engagement.

I’m looking for any sort of lifeline. This wasn’t supposed to be this hard!

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
What have you got for overall length on the u-bolts you are getting? I just went and measured one of my trail spares

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick.

The scale measured about 0.045”.

I’m a bit shorter than your bolts, assuming the u-section thickness is identical. Mine also has a little nub on the concave portion of the U.

My joint measures as a 3.625 cap to cap, and fits nicely within the tabs on the yoke.

Next time you get under your truck, could you see what exposed thread length your u-bolts have? I’ve put this end together three times with the same results each time, but won’t promise I’m not overlooking something. Thanks.

ps sorry this is upside down.

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
886 Posts
Mine is a pain to measure in the truck cause of the skid plates I’ve got, and the fire ant mound under where it’s parked now.... but it looks to have one thread exposed past a full nut
My u-bolts are stock Ford ones, I’ve probably got half a dozen rusty old stock ones, I could send you two if it comes down to it

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick, thanks for looking at your t-case. Appreciate the time you invested on my behalf.

I'll keep your offer in my back pocket. I'll likely take a flyer on another set of bolts and see if I just wound up with something a hair short. You've helped me confirm I am not wildly out of my mind. Worst case is I can take the yoke back off and have the rear side milled down a bit, but that seems like a lot of work and directionally the wrong way to go to accommodate for u-bolts.

Thanks again -

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
SOLVED:

I found an Allstar 69017 U-bolt kit that is 1/4" longer than the standard 1330 bolts. Has more threads exposed than I would like, but it works. Too many is better than not enough.

U-Bolt Kit for 1310 U-Joint Extra Long ALL69017

EDIT: Corrected link; previously linked to wrong P/N.

2nd EDIT: Says 1310, but the u-joint in question is a 1330 with 1.0625" caps and about a 1.4" center-to-center spacing on u-bolt legs. This bolt works for this application.

One picture of the loosely installed AllStar 69017, followed by one pic of the installed Spicer 2-94-28X bolts. 5-1330 U-joint on stock NP208F yoke.

·
Registered
1980; 347 stroker; Holley Sniper EFI
181 Posts
SOLVED:

I found an Allstar 69017 U-bolt kit that is 1/4" longer than the standard 1330 bolts. Has more threads exposed than I would like, but it works. Too many is better than not enough.

U-Bolt Kit for 1330 U-Joint ALL69018

One picture of the loosely installed AllStar 69017, followed by one pic of the installed Spicer 2-94-28X bolts. 5-1330 U-joint on stock NP208F yoke.

Thanks for sharing the part number. I remeber when I installed my front DS thinking the threads were barely sticking out. I will keep this in mind next time I have to do work on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts