Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like solving the method of trisecting an angle, many have tried but few have succeeded in solving the ancient Por 15 equation:

When dry, how do I get it off my skin?

Well, my 69 Camaro tried to turn itself into a barbecue briquet (My bad, my fault: New carbs mean tightening ALL the fuel line clamps sufficiently to avoid a leak) and I am repairing that damage, which includes prepping the metal for reassembly on the passenger's side of the engine compartment.

Sure I was gloved and so forth, but this stuff seemed to go through the gloves, which I didn't know until I took them off.

Those who've worked with Por15 know that getting it off once dry is impossible. In fact, the can clearly says something to the effect that once it dries, its on until your skin replaces itself.

So, I researched it on the internet. If it's on the 'net, it MUST be true... right?"

I saw the usual stuff that didn't work; lacquer thinner, fingernail polish remover, Draino, etc, etc, etc.

Well, one guy said he'd tried vegetable oil. That made zero sense to me, considering the chemical make up of that paint, but I figured, what the heck... give it a shot.

Went to the kitchen... and, of course, I didn't have any.

But in looking, I glanced up and there was a can of PAM regular cooking spray. And on the label: "made with canola oil blend."

"Close enough," I'm thinking.

So, I get an old wash cloth, and I spray about a quarter-sized spot of PAM directly on a spot on my arm. Let it sit there for about a minute, take the wash cloth and rub the area.

After a minute, 90% of the spot was gone.

So, I thought I'd do it again. Sprayed the PAM on there...waited a bit, rubbed it with the wash rag... and it was completely gone!

No stinging, no rubbing raw, no missing skin... within a minute, no evidence anything at all had been there.

I was able to clean both hands and 3 spots on my right arm in less than 10 minutes.

Just a tip I stumbled across that I thought I'd share.

·
Super Moderator
9,574 Posts
That makes perfect sense to me. Your skin absorbs oil. The oil works its way under the edge of the paint, as your skin absorbs the oil, it lifts the paint off your skin.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That makes perfect sense to me. Your skin absorbs oil. The oil works its way under the edge of the paint, as your skin absorbs the oil, it lifts the paint off your skin.
Just add some garlic salt! :duh

Great tip. I should try that with regular paints too. I bet it works.

·
Premium Member
5,775 Posts
Mayonnaise will remove anything from your skin. Paint, grease, sap etc..

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
7,640 Posts
Somehow I knew this would be posted. :goodfinge
It is an important warning to young men the world over. :toothless We are providing a valuable service. Hootus excludus while applying any permanent coating.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Don' use POR, then you will have no problems. A much better material is Master Series silver, It too is moisture cured, but it is truly a primer. It can be top coated with anything even POR. Don't put POR on bare metal. MS is truly made for this and does a much better job. POR is advertising hype. if more people knew of Master Series, they wouldn't buy POR.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My girlfriend and I went through this same ordeal. POR 15 was fully dried on our hands and we tried everything: Paint Thinner, Gas, Goo Gone, Medical Adhesive Remover, Different oils. None of these worked. The only thing that finally made any difference was getting latex/nitrile gloves, wearing them for hours with lotion/oil, and scrubbing with Scotch Brit pads. To put it crudely, once dried this stuff is part of your skin, you need to remove your skin to get it off.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
When I get stuff like paint, super glue, POR-15, etc. on my hands. I use a liberal amount of hand/skin lotion or some Dawn rubbing it in well, then put on a set of nitrile gloves for anywhere from a few minutes/hours depending on the temperature. The sweat and oils from your hand mix in with the lotion/soap and deep cleans pretty well. Also does a good job on the cuticles and fingernails. Doesn't necessarily gets your hands spotless but makes a good start.

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15
35,239 Posts
methyl ethyl ketone, aka: butanone - MEK

It's kinda spooky stuff but it's great at removing paint and other chemicals that aren't meant to be removed. Be careful what you apply it on. I think it melts plastic and can be very toxic to the body as it soaks in through osmosis. I haven't actually used it on POR15 myself, because I've never used POR15 but I've used it many times to strip other solvents quickly and with little effort. Doesn't take much to taste it after application to the hands... so again, handle with care and use at your own risk.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts