Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys weird question for a weird issue.. Does anyone have any ideas to what is causing my driver side power window switch to only work when the door is shut. Locks work fine only issue is drivers switch only works when door is closed. Passenger door work fine

·
Forward Some Money
5,047 Posts
Probably a bad wire in the harness from the door to the jamb. Try wiggling the wires while the door is open and pressing the button.

·
Registered
212 Posts
probly a connection issue. check the back of the switch and check where the wires run between the door and the cab for looseness and broken wires

·
Registered
17 Posts
The fellas above are steer'in ya in the right direction. I've had two different 96 Fords with the same problem.

Its not a very hard fix--- just takes a little time--- and you'll learn more about your vehicle.

You can pull the door panel and check the connections there first, but like the others said--- its probably gonna be between the door and the cab.

Since the door is kind of a pain to wrestle around for one guy, I use a light ratchet strap and hang the door from a rafter. If ya have some Redneck in ya, you can use a tree branch outside.LOL. Just open the window about an inch and a half and secure your strap on the top of the door and put tension on the strap.

Next--- use a fine line felt tip marker to mark around the door hinge on the cab so you can remount the door to its original position.

Remove the hinge bolts and the door will swing free of the cab. Be sure you hang the door with the ratchet strap ratchet at the top of the door and not up at the rafter. The strap will stretch a bit when it takes the weight of the door and you can re raise the door a little using the ratchet when remounting the door.

Pull the rubber boot back that's between the door and cab and check the wires. You'll probably find a broken or smashed wire at one of the bends.

·
Super Moderator
26,048 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help, I am going to try to work on it this weekend, stupid cold weather and snow and rain and FmL . I have had no time to respond, but again thanks to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts