Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a 302 to 351w swap in my 85 with AOD tranny. I'm down to the last few parts, including distributor and starter. My friend works at his dads JY, so he snags parts for me. He pulled a distributor from a 351m, but when i looked up the part in catalogs, the 351m and 351w were all listed with different parts numbers for the distributor. So, what's the difference? I haven't tried to fit it in yet, but it looks like the right size.

As for the starter, Ford starters seem to go bad just by sitting around, so out of 7 starters none worked. Will any Ford starter with the right bolt pattern work, or is it more specific, like depending on the tranny, flywheel, engine, or what?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
well of course the part numbers for 351w and 351m distributors are going to be the same. Because they are in different engine groups. the 351w is in the same class as the 302, 289, 260. Or the small block family. The 351m is in the same family (big block) as the 429, 460, 400m, 400c, 351c,. So basically I am saying it is a big block dist, and won't work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you sure that it's the starters that aren't working? That sounds an awful lot like a neutral safety switch or some other annoying little crap that makes you buy a bunch of starters until you find that's not it.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The 351w and 351 m are the same except for the gear. You can put a 351w gear on the 351m distributor if you have 1 laying around .

The 302 gear won't work for you because the shaft on the 302 is smaller even though the teeth are the right pattern.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you sure that it's the starters that aren't working? That sounds an awful lot like a neutral safety switch or some other annoying little crap that makes you buy a bunch of starters until you find that's not it.
Since we have the starters pulled, we were just hooking them up to a car battery and they didn't spin. I've been told by a few people than when Motocraft starters just sit around, they have a tendency to freeze.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 351w and 351 m are the same except for the gear. You can put a 351w gear on the 351m distributor if you have 1 laying around .

The 302 gear won't work for you because the shaft on the 302 is smaller even though the teeth are the right pattern.
I seem to recall somewhere that you could buy just the gear, so I might be in luck. I should be able to buy the distributor for $25, which is a lot better than the 200 I see new ones for. And I know it works, it came out of a friends truck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts