Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to learn/understand Fords PCM part numbers for the 89 to 96 series.
Essentially I'm trying to figure out if certain 4 entry PCM numbers can be used across other engine, maf, trans combos.
I have a 94 5l MAF with an E4OD in my truck.
I like to have spares and there's a ton of these trucks in pick and pull places up here.
I know for a fact that mine is a HOG0 PCM factory original for my setup and that means the transmission harness and fuel injection/MAF harness is specific to my setup.
Is there any other PCM 4 digit code I could use with my truck/engine/trans/maf combo?
Or will ONLY a HOG0 PCM work?

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,121 Posts
I don't know what the differences are between similar PCMs, but I know at least some of them are compatible based on which ones are used for MAF swaps. (Basically, people choose from any of the ones with single O2 sensor inputs and a J3 port.) If the logic holds there, it should be true for much of the non-MAF stuff.

The E4OD got refinements throughout the '90s, so some of the differences could be related to that. Smog stuff didn't change, as far as I know, nor did anything else I can think of on the engine aside from MAF in '94.

That's far from a definitive answer, of course. Anyone happen to know if the same PCM's got used across years or if they're all year-specific?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
You can use any of the following in place of the HOGO..These are all 5.0 MAF/E4OD combo EEC's.

Your HOGO is a single O2 sensor that doesn't have the J3 port provision. That's needed if you want to tune it down the road.

E4OD EEC Choices
U4X0 (F4PF-12A650-AA)
VEX1 (F5TF-12A650-HB)
WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
BIO0 (F5TF-12A650-BYA)
AKC0 (F8TF-12A650-NA)

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,940 Posts
You can use any of the following in place of the HOGO..These are all 5.0 MAF/E4OD combo EEC's.

Your HOGO is a single O2 sensor that doesn't have the J3 port provision. That's needed if you want to tune it down the road.

E4OD EEC Choices
U4X0 (F4PF-12A650-AA)
VEX1 (F5TF-12A650-HB)
WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
BIO0 (F5TF-12A650-BYA)
AKC0 (F8TF-12A650-NA)
So you can use a dual O2 sensor ECM if the truck has a single O2 sensor? 5.0 MAF and 5.8 MAF use the same ECM?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
So you can use a dual O2 sensor ECM if the truck has a single O2 sensor? 5.0 MAF and 5.8 MAF use the same ECM?
These are the only dual sensor EECs, your BIO0 is one of them..I'm not sure what would happen if you put a single O2 sensor EEC on a rig with two, I would expect the EEC just wouldn't recognize the 2nd one and with it disconnected it really wouldn't make a difference..

OBD-I (BIO0) requires 2 HEGOs.
OBD-I (A9L/A9P) requires 2 HEGOs

As far as I'm aware the only EEC's specific to the OBDI MAF 5.8 are the BIO0 and the NAT1. I'm pretty sure the other EEC's would work, you'd just lose the 2nd O2 sensor..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

E4OD EEC Choices
U4X0 (F4PF-12A650-AA)
VEX1 (F5TF-12A650-HB)
WAY1 (F5TF-12A650-JB)
BIO0 (F5TF-12A650-BYA)
AKC0 (F8TF-12A650-NA)
This is exactly what I'm looking for brother.
Thank you.

Yeah mine is a 94 5l MAF E4od with single O2 sensor.
The big thing being those PCMs you listed have to be compatible with the E40D obviously as the shift pack is completely different from the 4r70w from the same years.
But are you sure those e4od pcms you listed made for the 5l MAF engine setup? Or is each one an e4od with a 4.9l, 5.8l etc?
There were changes also end of 93 as I understand in the e4od shift pack. So from 94 to 96 the shift pack and the harness end that plugs into it are not compatible with the 93 and pre changes.
Oh Ford......lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are the only dual sensor EECs, your BIO0 is one of them..I'm not sure what would happen if you put a single O2 sensor EEC on a rig with two, I would expect the EEC just wouldn't recognize the 2nd one and with it disconnected it really wouldn't make a difference..

OBD-I (BIO0) requires 2 HEGOs.
OBD-I (A9L/A9P) requires 2 HEGOs

As far as I'm aware the only EEC's specific to the OBDI MAF 5.8 are the BIO0 and the NAT1. I'm pretty sure the other EEC's would work, you'd just lose the 2nd O2 sensor..
Yes and I believe those models were specific for Commifornias versions using a Speed Density sensor in the intake if I'm not mistaken?
Very hard to find and very rare/uber expensive hence why most guys convert their systems from my research.

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
5,940 Posts
The BIO0 is one of the ones for 5.8 with California emissions/MAF, I just had to replace mine there was only one place in the country that had it and it cost me 435.00 rebuilt, evidently the cores are rare as hens teeth. The only self service junk yard near me pulls them out before they take the trucks out to the yard

Reactions: 94OneFitty

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
This is exactly what I'm looking for brother.
Thank you.

Yeah mine is a 94 5l MAF E4od with single O2 sensor.
The big thing being those PCMs you listed have to be compatible with the E40D obviously as the shift pack is completely different from the 4r70w from the same years.
But are you sure those e4od pcms you listed made for the 5l MAF engine setup? Or is each one an e4od with a 4.9l, 5.8l etc?
There were changes also end of 93 as I understand in the e4od shift pack. So from 94 to 96 the shift pack and the harness end that plugs into it are not compatible with the 93 and pre changes.
Oh Ford......lol
You're welcome. Like I said, those listed are all 5.0 MAF/E4OD compatible.

If you're keeping the same tranny, you won't have any issue..My rig has a rebuilt '92 E4OD, the resistors are in the solenoid pack..on the later models, '94 and '95 for sure, I believe they moved the resistors to the EEC..So, the newer EEC will work on an older tranny, but from what I've read the reverse isn't true.

Reactions: 94OneFitty

·
Registered
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
1,684 Posts
1995 and later E4OD solenoid packs do not have the protection diodes, Ford moved them to the PCM. You can use a 1994 and earlier solenoid pack (protection diodes are on-board) with a 1995 and later PCM. You cannot use a 1995 and later solenoid pack with a 1994 and earlier PCM. There will be no protection diodes in the circuits which will kill the drivers in the PCM very quickly.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,946 Posts
1995 and later E4OD solenoid packs do not have the protection dioes, Ford moved them to the PCM. You can use a 1994 and earlier solenoid pack (protection diodes are on-board) with a 1995 and later PCM. You cannot use a 1995 and later solenoid pack with a 1994 and earlier PCM. There will be no protection diodes in the circuits which will kill the drivers in the PCM very quickly.
protection diodes...that's the word I was looking for..I kept thinking they were resistors..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1995 and later E4OD solenoid packs do not have the protection diodes, Ford moved them to the PCM. You can use a 1994 and earlier solenoid pack (protection diodes are on-board) with a 1995 and later PCM. You cannot use a 1995 and later solenoid pack with a 1994 and earlier PCM. There will be no protection diodes in the circuits which will kill the drivers in the PCM very quickly.
Yes!
Im also suspecting that over the years this has led to many of the codes that result in TCC failures in the PCMs etc

People putting post 94 shift packs into 94 and pre e4ods.
Because they WILL physically install lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts