Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search...but wasn't finding quite what I am looking for. Also, alot of members were saying different things.

I am looking to get new speakers off crutchfield.com. I need to know exactly what sizes I need for the front and rear. I dont want to modify at all.

Also, do I need to purchase some sort of bracket to hold the speakers in? Or is there a specific size I can get that I can just screw into where the previous speaker was?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Fronts are 6 1/2" and the rears are 6"X8". As long as they are not too deep, anything those sizes will screw right in, no brackets.

·
Registered
557 Posts
crutchfield is expensive, try looking at other websites or go to local electronics stores. I went to the wholesale district and payed half. just my two cents.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
crutchfield is expensive, try looking at other websites or go to local electronics stores. I went to the wholesale district and payed half. just my two cents.
crutchfield has great deals compared to what I have seen at local electronic stores.

I need for sure answers here. I just checked out 6.5 speakers for the front and crutchfield claims they don't fit.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I need for sure answers here. I just checked out 6.5 speakers for the front and crutchfield claims they don't fit.
Unless they changed something from '92 to '96, they are for sure 6.5". The depth might be your issue.

·
Registered
167 Posts
go get a set of pioneer 4-way 6.5" speakers for the front for clarity and pioneer 3-way 6x8's in the back total of about $150 good price good quality dont get crap speakers :p... ive worked with car audio for a few years now and thats what i have and they last a while as long as you dont abuse them. or if you wanna spend a little more get some infinity speakers. about $200 for the full set. but then again rockford's are nice as well as alpine type S if your going for a nice mid-class speaker. best buy if you live around any has some good prices, but crutchfield is nice as well. i have a 95 bronco and they were an easy install and just bolt right up.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Crutchfield has a place where you can input your car make/model/year and it will tell you what speakers will fit with or without modification as you shop for your components

Input Here

I have no idea how accurate it is, but I would think it should help.

mR

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just went and looked at my Pioneer boxes, my fronts are 6.5" diameter and 2-7/8" deep, so that size would for sure fit.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
go get a set of pioneer 4-way 6.5" speakers for the front for clarity and pioneer 3-way 6x8's in the back total of about $150 good price good quality dont get crap speakers :p... ive worked with car audio for a few years now and thats what i have and they last a while as long as you dont abuse them. or if you wanna spend a little more get some infinity speakers. about $200 for the full set. but then again rockford's are nice as well as alpine type S if your going for a nice mid-class speaker. best buy if you live around any has some good prices, but crutchfield is nice as well. i have a 95 bronco and they were an easy install and just bolt right up.
4way? Do they make those? I don't see any on here.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just went and looked at my Pioneer boxes, my fronts are 6.5" diameter and 2-7/8" deep, so that size would for sure fit.
cool man, thanks for your help. Not sure why they said those wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is the difference between a 3 way and a 2 way?

What is ideal? I found some 3-ways for the front and 2-ways for the back at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Standard paper speakers are 1-way, and try to replicate the entire spectrum of sound from one driver. A 2-way adds a tweeter and separates the high and lows and allows each driver to replicate their own ranges, but this still not ideal. The next step is a 3-way, with a second tweeter slightly larger for slightly lower frequencies high frequencies (mid's if you will) - again each driver can manage their own ranges. I've never heard of a 4-way myself.

For the Bronco, you are putting the speaker behind a door panel. This will remove at least some of the higher frequency sounds, so a 2-way is not only cheaper, but you won't notice the added tweeter in a 3-way. But if it's a deal, then it is no biggy, get the 3-ways.

As for the rear, you need less high's there. The idea of the high's is to focus the listener to the "stage" or front of the vehicle. Many competition vehicles I've seen use only a front stage and rear subs, and forego the rear fill altogether. I like rear fill personally, so I have 6x8's back there.

Fronts are definitely 6.5" diameter round speakers. As others noted, be careful with depth, there is a window in there. :) Hope that helps.

--MIKE--

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
4-way speakers add a "super" tweeter to give you even more highs than a 3-way.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Standard paper speakers are 1-way, and try to replicate the entire spectrum of sound from one driver. A 2-way adds a tweeter and separates the high and lows and allows each driver to replicate their own ranges, but this still not ideal. The next step is a 3-way, with a second tweeter slightly larger for slightly lower frequencies high frequencies (mid's if you will) - again each driver can manage their own ranges. I've never heard of a 4-way myself.

For the Bronco, you are putting the speaker behind a door panel. This will remove at least some of the higher frequency sounds, so a 2-way is not only cheaper, but you won't notice the added tweeter in a 3-way. But if it's a deal, then it is no biggy, get the 3-ways.

As for the rear, you need less high's there. The idea of the high's is to focus the listener to the "stage" or front of the vehicle. Many competition vehicles I've seen use only a front stage and rear subs, and forego the rear fill altogether. I like rear fill personally, so I have 6x8's back there.

Fronts are definitely 6.5" diameter round speakers. As others noted, be careful with depth, there is a window in there. :) Hope that helps.

--MIKE--

Sweet man. That really helps. Thanks for the good info. I think I am going to go ahead and get a set of 3 ways for the front and 2 ways for the back. I can get all four for 115 shipped to my door.

The brand I am looking at is kenwood. I have a kenwood home sterio system, and have had it for years, and have never had a problem. So I am sure they are perfect. I am looking for good sound, but obviouly I dont want to dish out big money for the top of the line stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I tried to put a nice expensive set of boston acoustics in the front doors of my 89 and the 6.5's were too big if you want to get better sound you will have to modify the doors or buy smaller speakers 5.5s will more than most likely fit and you can get deeper speakers for a fuller sound

1 - 20 of 34 Posts