Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the day before New Year's, I picked up a 1994 Bronco XLT at a small "mom & pop" car dealer. This will take the place of my 87 XLT.

To give a short description of the vehicle - it's a dark metallic green, like an emerald green and is the original exterior color. The interior is gray. It also has a newer lift kit on it, dual exhaust, riding on 33's, (6) new shocks, new front springs, rears springs appear to be newer and it is super clean underneath (no rust or rot).

When I picked up the truck, it has what appears to be a "CB" antennae affixed to the cab roof. Directly in front of that antennae, there was another hole in the cab roof, which I have since plugged. In front of the center console, there was some sort of bracketry that was mounted into the floor and the "CB" antennae protruded through the carpet at that point.

I've finally had some time to gut the interior to do a thorough cleaning and also to replace a few misc. items that were worn out, etc. Well, I started removing the interior items - front seats, all windshield pillars, visors, seat belt receptacles, center console, etc.

Once I was to the point that I could remove the cab carpet and toss it in the garbage, I proceeded to lift the carpet and low and behold, I find the original Ford build sheet! It was damp and kind of crumpled and ripped in a few sections, but I was able to carefully remove it and salvage it from the vehicle. It's currently drying out and I laid everything out flat so I can piece it back together, but for the most part, it's about 95% complete!

Now for the next cool findings!

Ok, so now I pull the carpet out of the truck and trash it. Now, I am seeing (4) gray wires, the type of wiring that appears to be networking cable or telephone cable (gray sheathing with 3 individual wires inside of the sheathing). Each of the (4) wires were terminated or cut and were just laying under the carpet in the cab. Each of them protruded or exited the cab floor pan through the (4) factory rubber grommets. I was puzzled at this, as I have never seen such wiring in a Ford vehicle. So, I traced the one wire that exited the rear grommet and followed it under the vehicle. When I did, it went all the way back to the rear of the vehicle, but, since I could not get my tailgate down yet (bad window motor), so I could not see where the end of that wire actually went.

I figure, let me trace one of the front wires. I popped the hood and looked in the engine bay for that same type of wire and found it. It came from under the cab and then ran along the passenger side inner fender all the way up to the headlight housing. I'm looking at this and then see that the wire terminates into the back of the passenger side headlight housing, there is a blue silicone around where it is inserted into the headlight housing and there is a connector attached to it. Attached to the wire is a silver manufacturer tag, which has "WHELEN" on it with a bunch of numbers and also the word "strobe".........

I immediately go to the driver's side headlamp and there I find the same type of wire hooked up in the same exact manner... I then remove the old power window motor from the tailgate to manually push down the rear window so I can get the tailgate open. Once I open the tailgate, I remove the driver's side tail lamp and of course, that is where the rear wires terminated too - each of the rear tail lamp housings also have Whelen strobes in them!

So - each of my main lights (front headlamps and rear tail lights) are wired with Whelen strobes and they are all still there! The antennae on the cab is still good too, because no one cut the cable for it, so it can still be used if needed.

The antennae on the top of the cab resembles the small "stick" antennaes with a small metal base as used by undercover Police cars, or standard issue Law Enforcement or Agency use.

The control box for the strobes must have been in the cab, along with whatever radio equipment that used to be in that bracketry in front of the console... that explains why the (4) wires were cut and just left under the carpet.

Now I am trying to figure out WHAT my Bronco was used for, because Whelen strobes are not legal to have for civilian use in NJ. In NJ, Volunteer Firefighters or EMT's cannot have or use strobes, they are only allowed a dash or roof mounted blue light. The wiring job was definitely a professional job, because everything is sealed and tucked away where it cannot be seen. If I had not pulled up the cab carpet, I would have never have seen the wires to trace.

I'm wondering if my rig was used as some sort of undercover "sting" vehicle for either traffic enforcement use or drug enforcement use? The exterior color of it does not match ANY official agency or Police Dept. in NJ at all...

I ran a CarFax on it before purchasing and the CarFax came back clean, however, I thought it was weird that CarFax terminated after the year 2000... meaning, there is no history for the vehicle after the year 2000....???

Any ideas fellas?

Were Broncos used in Law Enforcement or another type of "agency" use?

Can the door tag tell me anything, like if it was ordered for a certain town/State, possibly for State or Municipality use?

I'm REALLY curious to know why the truck is rigged up with Whelen strobes and the "cop like" cab antennae....

Pretty cool eh?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sound to me like it could have been used for undercover purposes at one point in time. Out here in nevada you see all kinds of under cover vehicles.

Or it could have been owned by someone that installs that sort of equipment and wanted to do it to there personal vehicle. I have a buddy that works for a company that installs that sort of equipment on police cars and under cover cars. He did it to his personal vehicle just for kicks. I'm sure it's illegal but that could be another possibility.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Probablly a supervisors truck for construction. Possibly a independent contractor that visits sites and sometimes sat on the side of the road beside heavy equipment? I would think a state or city truck would be marked, and I would be suprised to see a goverment truck modified with a lift.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
facn8me said:
Probablly a supervisors truck for construction. Possibly a independent contractor that visits sites and sometimes sat on the side of the road beside heavy equipment? I would think a state or city truck would be marked, and I would be suprised to see a goverment truck modified with a lift.

I thought the same thing about an Agency owing the vehicle and the lift kit deal... The thing is, I don't know when the lift was added (it's only like a 3 or possibly 4" lift)... I'm thinking the previous owner who traded it in added the lift, but maybe knew nothing about the Whelen's...?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Stupid question, and I feel stupid for asking, but what exactly do you want the buildsheet for? I've never seen one so I don't really know what exactly it shows.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Could easly be a police bronco, they were popular. Heck the neighboring township still has a 95 for a K9 unit. Or, like said a construction truck for visiblility on job sites.

Adrianspeeder

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
facn8me said:

My brother worked for the Border Patrol and a few of their marked Broncos were lifted.

PM me the VIN I'll can try to look into it, it's too old for OASIS but I have a few other systems I can access.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Very well could have been a volunteer's vehicle. I've got strobes in mine, 1 b/w on the dash, 2 blues in the grille, 2 in the turn signals, and two ambers in the reverse light. Yeah, it's not legal, but no cop will ever say anything about it... If I can't play with my blue lights (as long as I'm responding safely, no question there) then maybe I shouldn't respond to save someone's life. Which is the feeling a lot of cops, and other firefighter/emt's have.

It doesn't sound like much to you guys (except the ones who are firefighters) but seconds mean everything. Until you've been there, you can't understand.

The borough I'm a firefighter in has a 94 FSB w/ "emergency package", and it's got prewiring for strobes. I don't know if it was done by the dealer, but it's in there. I love that the "emergency package" is like a 1,500$ add on, and all it is, is a second trans cooler, and a bigger alternator.

Btw cobra, where ya live and how much you want for those strobes :toothless

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Well I've seen those scans but I still don't know what they're for...what's so special about them? I mean, is it just some nice trivial knowledge about your truck or is it something more? Confused, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
25,798 Posts
yo CJ!
I've been collecting specific Police/Fire/Emergency Services Bronco Pic Links;
look here:
Under:HISTORY & LITERATURE dealer brochures, VIN & sticker decoders

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
-Spazmatic- said:
Well I've seen those scans but I still don't know what they're for...what's so special about them? I mean, is it just some nice trivial knowledge about your truck or is it something more? Confused, I guess.
More trivia. I have mine, mostly intact, It's a large sheet, about 11x14 that has your vin up top (to match with your vin actually on the vehicle), and this it has tons of letter/number combinations identifying everything about your truck......body, paint, cab, carpet, colors, seats, console, headliner, seatbelt, power stuff, tank, wheels, a/c, trlr. tow, antitheft, radio, engine calibration, emissions, radiator, you name it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My town has a GREEN newer body Bronco used by Natural Resouces, no lift but its all set up with a wench, etc. also, the EPA has Green broncos, which could explain that your truck may have all the light hookups, etc. They have all the electronics that a cop car has. I bet the NJ EPA uses them also. I can confirm they have headlight strobes and antennas, as ive seen them pretty close, as they were chasing me on my Four Wheeler. The EPA also have light bars with blue lights and a Large whip antenna on the back. Now, theyve switched over to mostly pickups, but a few years ago they all had broncos.

As a funny side note, the EPA guys in MA that drive the trucks are CRAZY. They really have no way of catching you when your on a bike, but they sure as hell try. I witnessed a stock bronco jump off a 5' cliff and land flat, and contine to chase me....i was impressed nothing broke lol.

·
Registered
621 Posts
maybe some kid had strobes put on it, it's illegal but places still put them in. a bunch of people here have cb's so maybe someone just put that on, could have been used for special work but you never know. i think if everyone that bought a used FSB looked, they would find something. mine got ripped up and had wiring for about 12 speakers, some video wiring, and alarm wiring. my dad's had the same story and an extra pulley on the crankshaft, which was used for a paxton supercharger, shortly after the rearend and trans blew out.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I dont know about you, but I would be SUPER pissed off that I was not told that the truck I was buying was in fleet service with a agency.....if thats the case.
Also, I know plenty of civilians here in NJ who have installed strobes on their cars/trucks....and have CB, police scanner, two way, ham....etc.

It dont mean anything.......just take care of the new to you bronco.....and make sure you keep her on the road for many many years to come!

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
well I had strobe put into my bronco, the only broncos I see today r w/ the border patrol

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Streetgang said:
I dont know about you, but I would be SUPER pissed off that I was not told that the truck I was buying was in fleet service with a agency.....if thats the case.
Me too, I'm not saying that truck was probably beaten on, but I know that when I drive the bronco my borough owns, I beat the hell out of it. And it's been used for about 20k miles now by the beach patrol, and they are known for being idiots with vehicles. I'm surprised its lasted this long with them, they're all a bunch of morons and they just don't care about the trucks.

If the truck passes emissions, doesn't burn oil, tranny fluid is good, and everything else seems in order, I don't think you've got anything to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
25,798 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
that or a firefighter owned it:shrug
my bronco has whelen strobes in the tailights and yellow corners upfront. My dads excursion has strobes all around.. no undercover

were not cops...they get paid

DC

1 - 20 of 45 Posts