Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, new here, Hi, I've been scouring threads from at least 04 with no absolute answers.

Googling the crap out of what I'm trying to find, only to run across threads on multiple boards where somebody asks and someone else says "yep."
And that's it. That's the end.

So now I'll have to ask and hopefully somebody that's been around for the past 20 or so years will have the answer.

351M/400 to e4od, how and what?

Not changing the engine, it's already built.
It's 2wd.
I know I need a mid 90s 460 e4od.
All the little odd stuff(TCU, linkages, sensors, cross member, etc) I can handle.

Old threads end with "you need the right torque converter and flex plate" and die...for a decade.

Which torque converter and which flexplate?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Also, excellent boards. Very well organized. I've scrolled through here with google searches, but man, when you register and see how well everything is laid out, very nice.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
I believe ford v8 flex plates all have the same torque converter bolt spacing, and they only have 2 pilot sizes.

measure you pilot size, and measure the hole spacing. see if it matches to the new converter you're looking for.

I would imagine you'd want to run the stock flex plate balanced for your crank shaft.

Or call Edge racing converters, the guy there is pretty knowledgeable. he built the converter i put behind the 400 in my bronco and it works great.
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe ford v8 flex plates all have the same torque converter bolt spacing, and they only have 2 pilot sizes.

measure you pilot size, and measure the hole spacing. see if it matches to the new converter you're looking for.

I would imagine you'd want to run the stock flex plate balanced for your crank shaft.

Or call Edge racing converters, the guy there is pretty knowledgeable. he built the converter i put behind the 400 in my bronco and it works great.
http://www.edgeracingconverters.com/
Thanks for the info/direction.

A 400 with the e4od?

·
Man of endless projects
9,290 Posts
your going to need a controller for the tranny and there not cheap. think there like $400+

I would think the flexplate of a 460 and 400m should be the have the same holes but cant confirm it. you can probably take the flexplate to a machine shop tho and get the holes drilled right if they are different

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
your going to need a controller for the tranny and there not cheap. think there like $400+

I would think the flexplate of a 460 and 400m should be the have the same holes but cant confirm it. you can probably take the flexplate to a machine shop tho and get the holes drilled right if they are different
Ok.

I read the pre-powerstroke 7L diesels had a trans controller that was stand alone.
Supposed to work with carbed engines.
I'll keep looking into that, though.

My main concern was about "the specific flex plate and specific converter" that never gets mentioned.

Just not sure if I should be looking for 460 specific, e4od specific, 400 specific...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know questions of sanity are annoying, but is there any reason in particular you want to use the electronically controlled and problematic e4od vs a better transmission? just for overdrive? (vs say a c6)

what about a 700r4?
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/460_to_Chev_Kit.htm
Haha, yes, they are quite annoying.
Especially when you are constantly reading everyone before you have their sanity questioned.

I haven't considered Chevys. I don't really want to start deciphering Chevy patterns.

C6 I have with 2.75 rear geared 9 inch, its a putz.

When I bump the rear to a 3.80-4.xx, I want to be able to cruise down the highway at 70 while hovering in the 2,000 rpm range.

The 0.71 in the e4od should allow that.

·
Registered
9,835 Posts
So, new here, Hi, I've been scouring threads from at least 04 with no absolute answers.

Googling the crap out of what I'm trying to find, only to run across threads on multiple boards where somebody asks and someone else says "yep."
And that's it. That's the end.

So now I'll have to ask and hopefully somebody that's been around for the past 20 or so years will have the answer.

351M/400 to e4od, how and what?

Not changing the engine, it's already built.
It's 2wd.
I know I need a mid 90s 460 e4od.
All the little odd stuff(TCU, linkages, sensors, cross member, etc) I can handle.

Old threads end with "you need the right torque converter and flex plate" and die...for a decade.

Which torque converter and which flexplate?

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Also, excellent boards. Very well organized. I've scrolled through here with google searches, but man, when you register and see how well everything is laid out, very nice.

Thanks again.
Provided the torque converter holes line up I would say 460 torque converter and 400 flexplate. You want the flexplate to match the engine and the torque converter to match the trans.
If the holes don't match I would consider redrilling them. You really want the flexplate to be balanced to the engine.

Personally I think the E4OD/4R100 is best for what he wants to do. It's the simplest Overdrive trans that can bolt straight up without any adapters and not get roasted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Provided the torque converter holes line up I would say 460 torque converter and 400 flexplate. You want the flexplate to match the engine and the torque converter to match the trans.
If the holes don't match I would consider redrilling them. You really want the flexplate to be balanced to the engine.

Personally I think the E4OD/4R100 is best for what he wants to do. It's the simplest Overdrive trans that can bolt straight up without any adapters and not get roasted.
Roger that.

That's what I thought, too. It's just a driver. Not a crawler.
I have few e4ods lined up that I'm looking at, as soon as I pick one, I'll check everything out to see how that matches up. Might be a week or so.

Thanks for the input.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,692 Posts
When I bump the rear to a 3.80-4.xx, I want to be able to cruise down the highway at 70 while hovering in the 2,000 rpm range.

The 0.71 in the e4od should allow that.
my '90 Custom's 302/AOD/4.56 on 31's is almost exactly that.
70 mph @ 2000 rpm. :shrug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PHP:
my '90 Custom's 302/AOD/4.56 on 31's is almost exactly that.
70 mph @ 2000 rpm. :shrug
That would be because your AOD has the same 0.71 final gear.

C4 and AOD are the same for Small block Windsor patterns like your 302.

C6 and e4od are for Big block 429/460 385 bellhousings.

The AOD is to the C4 the same way e4od is to the C6.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,692 Posts
and here I was trying to help you out. :brownbag
thanks for the info! :beer

·
Man of endless projects
9,290 Posts
they didn't put AOD behind anything stonger than a 302. not even the 300 yet alone a 400m or 460. so there wont be a bigblock AOD bellhousing

E4OD will probably be the simplest swap for bigblock to have OD (other than manual) even tho its electronicly controlled

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
If you have the wheel base you can also look at a gear vendors over drive unit. Then retain your current trans.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you have the wheel base you can also look at a gear vendors over drive unit. Then retain your current trans.
That would be my next option, if all else fails.

I'm pretty sure the e4od is about 4" longer than the C6, so I'm already looking at a shorter driveshaft.
I stumbled across a page that noted different tail housing lengths for one of these transmissions, I don't remember which and I hadn't bookmarked it.

Basically, someone brokedown tailhousing lengths, said there was 3 available.
Simply a long, medium and short.
I don't know what I will end up getting but I remember one of them to be 4" shorter than the other.

Ideally, I end up with an e4od with the 4" shorter housing and looking at a straight bolt in.

·
Man of endless projects
9,290 Posts
there pretty expensive IIRC. like +3k at least? would be cool to put one on a overdrive tranny to get double OD. but if u keep it 2wd it might be a option without the Tcase take up soo much room

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
there pretty expensive IIRC. like +3k at least? would be cool to put one on a overdrive tranny to get double OD. but if u keep it 2wd it might be a option without the Tcase take up soo much room
Go price out a quality rebuild on a E$OD and then add in the wiring and controller for it all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go price out a quality rebuild on a E$OD and then add in the wiring and controller for it all.
Yeah, a rebuild could cost you 1,500 with the Baumann adding 500.
Depending on where you look, you can find a rebuilt e4od for 500 and if my research serves me well, the computer from a 92-94 7.3 IDI diesel will plug in and go.

I guess I'm about to be the next guinea pig... I'll just make sure to follow up with results.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Depending on where you look, you can find a rebuilt e4od for 500 .
Jopes mentioned the word "quality". My own research (sadly to say..very recent research...got one going out in an F-450 7.3l dump body) in to what that means for an E40D is that a seriously well built one is 2 grand, with another 400 for a matching TC.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts