Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to buy a salvage yard steering gear today.
test drive after install and i get a death wobble
i didnt have it yesterday before the steering gear install

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i guess i should have said PLEASE HELP
i dont see how the death wobble could be from my steering gearbox i really dont know where to look
all of my steering linkage is new, i even have the longer and curved inner tie rod for an e250 ambulance, new radius arm bushings

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Ive had my share of death wobble over the years and found tire pressure can play a part to lessen or solve it sometimes. Really from what you wrote it sounds like you got a well worn steering box but try messing with the tire pressure for now. You can also adjust the steering box but Ive never had success with that.

·
Premium Member
3,271 Posts
1) bronco has no problems
2) install a used unknown condition part
3) problem shows up
4) what could it be?

i'd definitely start by sticking the old gear on and see what happens. otherwise you're looking at going through the tie rods, drag link, and ball joints.

·
Super Moderator
23,346 Posts
Yo no,
B]MIESK5 NOTE; I removed non-FSB info from Carl's article here...[/B]
"...Death wobbles are caused by two main factors; loose or incorrect front-end alignment parts and large out of round or imbalanced tires. Assuming your tires are still in balance, not full of dirt clods and you don't have a bent rim, here is what I look for when experiencing "death wobbles" on the following rigs.
*Note: Always have your rig on level ground with motor off prior to doing any vehicle inspection!
One thing to remember - a steering stabilizer or two may get rid of the death wobbles, but will not fix the problem that is causing the wobbles. I have personally run 44" tires on all my rigs for the past 21 years and have been able to run without a steering stabilizer once the root cause was corrected.

Bronco's & Ford ½ tons:
I'm going to assume that the rig by this time has already had someone install the 14 piece urethane bushing kit in the front end trying to remedy some of the death wobbles. If not install a kit and look for the following as you do it.
Check that the steering box mount to the frame is solid. Some Bronco owners have reported frame cracks. See my post #2 @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/449378-frame-cracked-steering-box.html
Check the steering box bolts, are they loose? Look for chipped paint or rust rings around the bolts, better yet just go ahead and retorque them now, you will probably get a full turn out of them. If they do not tighten to a firm stop... FIX by installing new solid sleeves between frame rails. The early Bronco's had sleeves in the frame but they were a split design and crush open after awhile.

3rd Tighten the pitman arm nut; you can usually get ½ a turn out of it.
MIESK5 NOTE; BE VERY CAREFUL HERE; see Steve's Pre-load Adjustment, All Bronco & Ford, mid-70s to 00..
and his
Steering Troubleshooting

Check all the tie rod ends for endplay. With the wheel-rocking trick, start at the pitman arm, there should be no motion between the arm and the drag link, or the drag link to the tie rod, or the tire rod to the steering arms. Replace and align as required.
Place the front end on jack stands, then grasp the tire at top and bottom and alternately pull and push the tires with opposite hands. If the tire moves more than 1/16" either the upper and lower ball joints need to be replaced or the wheel bearings need adjustment, or in a worse case scenario the spindle is cracking or the spindle bolts are lose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts