Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an 87 that I am slowly "buggying out" as time allows. Right now the only sheetmetal remaining is the firewall and some of the floor- Anyways, lately sometimes it starts, or not, for no apparent reason. Once it is started, it runs flawlessly, even when being flogged relentlessly, but shut it off, and its a crapshoot if it will start up again. At times when it doen't start, I go off and do something else for a while then come back later and try- sometimes it starts sometimes I go away and come back later.

Engine is cranking fine, and I can hear the high pressure fuel pump kicking on. Have to assume its not a weird electrical connection or it would die on me while out playing.

Any idears??

·
Registered
132 Posts
So it cranks but dosn't fire?
I don't know what years did/didnt have, but there's a style that uses 2 circuits for the coil, 1 in key position "start" and the 2nd in key position "run". The first supplies higher voltage, hotter spark for starting, the 2nd drops down the volts, usually by a fusible link type resistance wire or a ballast resistor, so the coil dosnt burn out. Could be a faulty ign switch or circuit in "start" ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am aware of that ignition system, but I wasnt aware that it was used on EFI systems-- ??is it??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts