Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On 302 motors, there is a knock sensor that will signal the 'Puter (ECC) and it will start pulling timing.

On GM TBI swaps, you can use a simple resistor to fool the knock sensor circuit into thinking everything is fine and toss the knock sensor.

Is there a similar simple mod to do the same on a 302 and Ford ECC?

What are the parameters of the knock sensor?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I had customer come to me with a 90ish f150 talking about a knock sensor, there isn't one listed for it at all. As far as I know Ford never used one. There is no provision for on in the Mustang either.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had customer come to me with a 90ish f150 talking about a knock sensor, there isn't one listed for it at all. As far as I know Ford never used one. There is no provision for on in the Mustang either.
Most of the 302 truck motors had knock sensors behind the intake manifold. My '90 had one.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Most of the 302 truck motors had knock sensors behind the intake manifold. My '90 had one.

This is interesting to me, I have two truck motors on the floor in the hot rod shop right now with out one or a provision for it in the block. I can't find a single local parts house that even lists one...of course I can understand why the trucks would have one, I just thought it was weird that I can't get them thru the aftermarket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my '86 302 EFI moved the knock sensor to the lower intake manifold, above and between the injector ports for cylinders 6 and 7. I saw on the forums somewhere that they're not for sale anywhere, so the JY is the only resource. I don't know how they work, or what an ohm-meter would show (normally open, normally closed, or some resistance).

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 86 has the wiring and no sensor. The boss on the intake isn't even drilled. Timing doesn't change, however it always throws the code for no knock sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts