Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to tackle a 5.8 liter HO EFI marine motor in a Moomba ski boat.

Heres some pics.
http://community.webshots.com/album/457374216FdIYQQ

It's owned by the ski club at my school and supposedly doesnt run. I offered to help get it fixed and the girl that is the president of the club told me she "thinks the motor is shot" due to a fire, but I was welcome to look at it.

Today I looked at it, and there is minor evidence of a fire. Soot on the underside of the engine cover, and extinguishing agent dispersed on what would be the drivers side (if it was in a bronco) of the motor. As far as burnt stuff, there is barely anything burnt or melted, and definitely no real evidence of a fire.

Even though she told me not to, I messed with it. Turned the key on, the fuel pump primed, and then cranked it over. Fired right up, and I immedately turned it off since it wasnt in water.

I'm going to bring it home to check it out further, hook up the ears and make sure it runs ok. Its a EEC-IV system, you can see the computer housing on the back of the motor, and everything is identical to our truck motors.

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the Marine specific 5.8 liter EFI motors, so I know the differences between the truck and boat motors.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I would expect the heads to be marine heads. I have some notes on the marine heads somewhere if I can find them. Some of the 351W marine engine had connecting rods with casting # D6OE with the football shaped bolt heads. In fact, I have a set of these rods out in the shop. They came out of a carbed 351W marine engine though. The engine management system was set up slightly different on the efi ones also.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I would expect the cam, heads, and EEC programming to be different. There is no EGR/TAB/emissions stuff so theres no way a truck computer would run the motor very well. I dont even know if its SD or Mass Air, forgot to look for a MAF.

I'm looking for specifics, as in how they are different...not just that they are different ya know?

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Permission from the club's president. And lack of insurance.

I'm not even a member of the club. Not that I really need to be I guess since I'm staff/faculty and not a full time student, but I can imagine she doesnt want some random guy taking their boat and working on it.

I havent talked to her in depth about it, but she said they would welcome any help with it.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea dude I know. But the fuel pump primed and pressure built up, didnt see or smell fuel. So I have no idea what else could cause it. No wires were shorted/burnt. I think it was a case of severe overreaction to a little fire.

Heck my truck erupted in flames at 4am from tranny fluid spewed all over my exhaust manifolds. I beat it out with a sweatshirt, fixed the break in the tranny line, walked to the gas station and bought every quart of tranny fluid they had and then drove home.

They just put this new motor on the boat, and I think they got discouraged when it caught on fire, parked it, and havent touched it since.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kf4amu said:
Yea I would expect the cam, heads, and EEC programming to be different. There is no EGR/TAB/emissions stuff so theres no way a truck computer would run the motor very well. I dont even know if its SD or Mass Air, forgot to look for a MAF.

I'm looking for specifics, as in how they are different...not just that they are different ya know?
See, you already know a lot of the differences. It is MAF. The marine cam will operate reverse rotation of a regular cam so keep that in mind. In other words if you put a marine cam in a fsb 351w, it will pull air in the exhaust valve and excaust through the intake.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
kf4amu said:
Is the motor itself reverse rotation? Thats gonna be wierd to remember if I pull plug wires etc.

The whole engine should work backwards. I would suspect that the timing set is gear driven. pay attention to the plug wire setup and take pics and draw a diagram before you undo anything. Stop by a marine shop and see if you can find a manual for Ford marine engines or check the libraries in your area.

redeyes said:
No such thing as a little fire on a gas inboard boat. KaaBoom
This brings up another point. Does it have an electric fuel pump or mechanical? Marine pumps are special also. The mechanical ones were designed so that if the membrane ruptured, the fuel was contained inside the pump.

·
Premium Member
4,172 Posts
kf4amu said:
Is the motor itself reverse rotation? Thats gonna be wierd to remember if I pull plug wires etc.
Most - nearly all in the last 20 years in fact - marine single-engine installs are not reverse rotation. The reverse rotation engines are found in boats with twins..the port side engine will usually be left-handed, or reversed, rotation, while the starboard engine will be 'standard' rotation just like an automotive engine. Even that is no longer the case with most Volvo and the newer Mercury inboards, which use tranny or outdrive configurations that don't care which way is 'forward' and can be set up to shift and rotate either way. So both engines will be standard rotation, even though the props turn opposite each other.

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BlueBronco said:
This brings up another point. Does it have an electric fuel pump or mechanical? Marine pumps are special also. The mechanical ones were designed so that if the membrane ruptured, the fuel was contained inside the pump.
Electric. Primes and everything just like a bronco when you turn the key to ON.

I'll have to look close to see if its reverse rotation or not.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
kf4amu said:
I'm about to tackle a 5.8 liter HO EFI marine motor in a Moomba ski boat.

Heres some pics.
http://community.webshots.com/album/457374216FdIYQQ

It's owned by the ski club at my school and supposedly doesnt run. I offered to help get it fixed and the girl that is the president of the club told me she "thinks the motor is shot" due to a fire, but I was welcome to look at it.

Today I looked at it, and there is minor evidence of a fire. Soot on the underside of the engine cover, and extinguishing agent dispersed on what would be the drivers side (if it was in a bronco) of the motor. As far as burnt stuff, there is barely anything burnt or melted, and definitely no real evidence of a fire.

Even though she told me not to, I messed with it. Turned the key on, the fuel pump primed, and then cranked it over. Fired right up, and I immedately turned it off since it wasnt in water.

I'm going to bring it home to check it out further, hook up the ears and make sure it runs ok. Its a EEC-IV system, you can see the computer housing on the back of the motor, and everything is identical to our truck motors.

I'm wondering if anyone has any info on the Marine specific 5.8 liter EFI motors, so I know the differences between the truck and boat motors.

Thanks guys.
It's closer to a lightning motor, with GT-40 heads and intake. Mine was rated 235 HP prop. Many of the ski boat companies had hotter versions, I've seen up to 285 engine HP (like 255 prop). Not much different with the EEC, most of the pin connections were the same as a 302 speed density, IIRC. I may have even bought the manuals from OMC for it (sold boat 6 years ago), have to check.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts