Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
U can move this but please dont delete,i am on my moble and not good at it. Every one should know i was in indian. I am in rout to denver and lost my rear drive shaft. Im at exit 7 on the illinios side of the missisipi river bridge silvan to be exact. If there is anyone around here that can lend ahand or has parts call me PLEASE 720-335-9945

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
Not good what
do you mean by lost

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,592 Posts
I'm guessing U-joint failure... Quite likely took the ears of the shaft and killed em. Remove whats left of the rear shaft, put it in 4wd, adn lock the front hubs. Just take it easy driving. You can make it where your going with just the front driveshaft if you have to. All you should need to remove the rear shaft is a 1/2" wrench. I did it out in the desert last summer.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'm guessing U-joint failure... Quite likely took the ears of the shaft and killed em. Remove whats left of the rear shaft, put it in 4wd, adn lock the front hubs. Just take it easy driving. You can make it where your going with just the front driveshaft if you have to. All you should need to remove the rear shaft is a 1/2" wrench. I did it out in the desert last summer.
:stupid Drove home from the rubicon with just 2wd in the front. Good luck, call AAA if you need to.

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
He just did a arm swap the other day his phone went to voicemail.

·
1,592 Posts
I was on the phone with him. His rear driveshaft is failing and has a massive vibration. He has tools with him and was thinking of pulling the driveshaft, but he has a lunch box locker in the front and was worried with steering.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,787 Posts
Damn thats rough. I would still do it and get to the nearest town with a parts store. The sad part is that I have a spare rear d-shaft I would give him if I could get it there.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Lunch box locker? Does it always lock both? O nly lock in one side and itll be okay. Are you going to pass through KCMO? If so, when? I think I have a spare but will not be able to go (30 miles) home to look till about 1:30 am.

SWS

·
1,592 Posts
Damn thats rough. I would still do it and get to the nearest town with a parts store. The sad part is that I have a spare rear d-shaft I would give him if I could get it there.
He is parked outside a parts store right now. Just waiting till morning till he can see if the shaft can be fixed without a driveline shop. He already bought some new u-joints. Hoping the best for him right now, breaking down on the road at night is no fun. I guess this would be a good excuse for him to get a selectable locker for the front, lol.

EDIT: wouldn't running a lunch box locker with just one hub locked be a bad thing to do for any significant distance?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got two new front u joints and the centering ball for the cv. Hopefully i caught it before it screwed that pin that goes in the ball. Stuck in this parking lot till daylight i guess. Nice talkin to u guys that called,just wish u were here not nevada or indy lol. Im still up for a drive shaft localy

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,253 Posts
He was on I-80

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
He was on I-80
I googled the town after I posted it.

BUT, if you are going to cut south, I did find the front half with the double cardian joint. It needs both but I would replace them to get you going smoothly. Post your progress and your plans...

SWS

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
5:30 am damn those tool boxes and trunks were uncomfertable. Still pitch dark out. I pull the shaft at first light. Yall will be the first to know on the centering pin when im done

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok shaft is rebuilt. Bolt it in clean up and roll. I would say if no one hears anything in a couple hours all is good. Ill post up around omaha if i have no trouble. Thank all

1 - 20 of 25 Posts