Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 eddie bauer, with a dana 44 front axle. sounds like maybe ring a pinion grinding when braking. have had both ends apart many times and found no wear. could the ring and pinion be going out, or some other part in the axle. with the front driveshaft back in, it sometimes makes a more violent sounding gear grind until something goes back into place. sry i don't know how to explain it better then that. thx does that sound familier to anyone?

·
Registered
603 Posts
thats exactly how my truck sounded when my brakes were metal to metal, i would get it checked out soon, mine ened up costing 850 dollars

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
have had both ends apart many times and found no wear.
I would hope if he has had the ends of the axle's apart on several occasions he would have seen metal on metal action in the breaks. But wierd things have happened. Had he not said that, that would have been my suggestions as well.

MM

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
If its not the brakes, just pop the diff cover off and have a friend turn the pinion and see if there is any wear on the ring gear. Any wear on the pinion gear should show up on the ring gear as well. Check your carrier and spider gears while you're there.

But, its prob the brakes. Where the rotors smooth? The pads should have a ceramic pad thats 3/8th of an inch thick at new.

·
OMG IT RUNS
528 Posts
SquattyD said:
If its not the brakes, just pop the diff cover off and have a friend turn the pinion and see if there is any wear on the ring gear. Any wear on the pinion gear should show up on the ring gear as well. Check your carrier and spider gears while you're there.

But, its prob the brakes. Where the rotors smooth? The pads should have a ceramic pad thats 3/8th of an inch thick at new.
The front diff on a 96 doesn't have a cover.

K

·
0 Posts
hey bronc86... just as everyone has been saying - BRAKES... its your rotors, from the sound of it, they will more than likely have to be replaced (other than turning them!), along with your pads... believe me, mines going to the shop tomorrow to get this done, since i almost hit 2 or 3 people today with the shittay braking this problem has to offer...

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all your suggestions guys, but i have redid the brakes this summer. they still look good.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
if you can rub it in 4wd, it isnt the gears. but just to be sure, jack up the front end and rotate one tire feeling for resistence. I would guess, unless it is really bad, it maybe be 'normal' for where you are in the pads/rotors. check them for glazing, etc.

As far as the others who pay to have their brakes done, why? Very simple job, no special tools need on disc brakes, just your garden variety. You would be way better off buying a socket/screwwdriver set and doing it yourself.

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
dsickles said:
thats exactly how my truck sounded when my brakes were metal to metal, i would get it checked out soon, mine ened up costing 850 dollars
thats a lot of fawkin money for a brake job. what gives?

K

·
0 Posts
:lolup hey, i just got mine back today from getting rotors, pads, calipers, etc... and when i was driving home, it was kinda making like a grinding noise? bad? or are they just getting broken in?

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
grinding or more like a rough "friction"noise? a bit of a friction noise is what we like to call "commercially acceptable" at the stealership. wouldn't worry about it as long as u feel confident bout the place that didit.:thumbup

K

·
0 Posts
yeah, it does it when im rolling... will it go away? sorry to hijack your post man - last one! :thumbup

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i know it's not the brakes, rotors look great, lotsa pad, brakes work good. i did replace a part in the hub that broke. but don't see any wear in the hub assembly on either side. with the driveshaft in it, it sometimes wants to go into 4WD, as i'm driving down the road. makes a hell of a loud grind until i slow down then it quits. i have had the driveshaft out for awhile and it just makes a gear grinding sound when braking, gets louder when your hard on the brakes.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts