Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas, hope y'all can help here and thanks in advance...

bought my first Bronco this spring ('96 with a 302 and a stick shift) and thought something in the drivetrain was slippin a bit, took it to my mechanic and he said that it was totally normal for that particular vehicle...well, now he tells me that he 'ain't really familiar with those trucks...'

when I first got her, it was basically just a light slap when it went into gear, and not all the time.....it has remained exactly the same since until 2 days ago when outta nowhere she started sounding like a sledge hammer hit her and started actin exactly like the tranny was slippin except it is a stick shift.....she would start bucking forward like she was trying to stall out but it was not the engine and in all seriousness, when she first made the sledgehammer noise, I actually looked in the mirror to see if another car tried to change lanes into me, it was that loud

I limped it back to the house and haven't had a sec to try to do anything yet....it was by far the worse when making a turn, once sped up it didn't do it at all...when taking off it did it a bit even when not shifting gears but nowhere near as bad as when turning even slight small radius turns.........and when I pulled back in the driveway I had the clutch in so she was outta gear and she was smooth as silk with no banging or acting up whatsoever

any help would be greatly appreciated....I don't know a whole lot about cars, so any pointers to possible keep me from changing out things that don't need a changing would help a ton

thanks again,

regards,

Yetti

·
Registered
517 Posts
throw out pin in cluch also find a new mach.

·
Registered
25 Posts
it may sound stupid but no joke just take a look at the level of your differential fluid. low fluid will cause your car to "slam" into gear from forward or reverse because the ring gear isnt lubed enough. just unscrew the plug and poke ur finger in. my truck was about 3 inches to low, i filled it to level and it made all the difference in the world (before that i was fixin to replace the tranny).

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
The way you discribed it I am leaning twards the clutch. If the tranny feels like it is slipping, try this. Go find a decent hill, get going at a normal speed in second gear and shift to third at a low rpm, while climbing the hill put the accelorator to the floor and see if the rpm's rise. If they do your clutch is slipping. Also the bang could have been a spring coming apart in the clutch disk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check your Rear Driveshaft, on the Tranny side there are 2 Yokes with a middle piece, something in there can get screwed up. I just replaced the whole Driveshaft from Napa. I did try to replace the U-Joints at first but when I added up all the parts I would need it was about the same as buying one. Take off the Rear Driveshaft and drive around the block with Front Wheel Drive, that will tell you right away if it is Driveshaft or not.

·
my bko ate my money
2,319 Posts
ya if it gets worse during turns then on a straight id think diff problems, plus like sewiv is sayin the ring gear might be stripped causeing the noise and slipping, easy to check just pull the rear diff cover off

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,491 Posts
I'd pull the cover on the rear diff and look for broken teeth.
ya if it gets worse during turns then on a straight id think diff problems, plus like sewiv is sayin the ring gear might be stripped causeing the noise and slipping, easy to check just pull the rear diff cover off
:stupid Making noises while turning leads me to believe you have busted spider gears. Pull the cover off your differential, and have a look. Mine went bad last december and I had just about the same exact symptoms. I did the repair myself and ended up spending $500 just on parts. Spiders, clutches, axle bearings & seals, and my passenger side axle shaft was pitted bad so it got replaced too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts