Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
You got any kids that may have poured milk or something down them???

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Bonzai said:
probably the neighborhood cat that was sleeping on your engine block when you started your truck.
:histerica

·
Registered
302 Posts
11jdsummerfield said:
anti-freeze is sweet not sour
My 50 cents is still on the heater core. Damn, ya got me thinking now. I don't recall it being a sweet smell. Oh well, I could be wrong. Ever been wrong? It's happened to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My heater core just went out (maple syrup, puddle in carpet and all) and I found the easiest fix was just to bypass it with a hose. That's gunna be a pain when it gets cold again though... :doh0715:

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
Broncodell said:
My heater core just went out (maple syrup, puddle in carpet and all) and I found the easiest fix was just to bypass it with a hose. That's gunna be a pain when it gets cold again though... :doh0715:
why do that? its one of the simplest things to change...and not to expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
Could be the air conditioner, it is the number one cause for musty sour smells in the vents. If the air condensor plug is backed up it can cause this, and many Auto Makes have poor positioning of the condensor plug which allows water to sit and get nasty (But I don't think this is a problem with Bronco's). If you spray about 1/2 a can of lysol in the vent tube intake right under the windshield WITH THE AIR CONDIONER ON HIGH it might help it. On occasion I build make shift manifolds that allowed me to shoot Ozone in the system to kill the mold(http://www.air-zone.com/xtpower.html). It's more effective than lysol but if there is a moisture problem in the vent chances are it will keep coming back. The most effective fix is to put an aftermarket cabin hepa filter system.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
wet carpet on the passenger side tells me it is the heater core, for sure, and a sour smell tells me you need to either replace the carpet and or flush the coolant system.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Let me add my 2 cents: Last winter, a little rodent (or some animal-lizard?) crawled into the heater intake vent and died. AH, yukko...smelled like something rotten. So I tried airing it out and no luck, so I left it parked for a while. I came back after a time and there were flies in the truck. This is gross, but it looks like maggotts got in there and ate whatever it was, the flies went out of the truck and no more smell. Is this a story or what? I do agree with most posts here, it looks like heater core leaking into the carpet - smells bad. But not like the smell of a rotting carcass. Pete (why me all the time?)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts