Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Got a question for you southern California bronco guys. I haven't had a 4x4 since 05. Back then I had a 73 bronco, that I beat on, thrashed and eventually swapped a ranger cab onto....I know, I know...I want to go back and punch myself too. I was in my 20s and those early broncos could still be found cheap back then. I was living in Utah at the time and typically ran around moab, cedar city, west desert etc. Pretty wide open trails.

Fast forward 13 years and I have the itch to get a 4x4 and wheel, and to bring my 5 y/o son with me. Im now in Temecula and looking around at all the trails nearby, within a couple hours or so and see some really fun stuff. My question is about the limitations due to the size of the bronco. I see places near by like cleghorn, lots up by big bear, etc that look like tight mountain trails. Where you only have one line, and not a lot of options to take it wide. I see videos of jeep guys hitting it and it looks like a squeeze for them, like the squeeze in anza Borrego. Have any of you guys had issues or know of trails that you just don't do because of the size of your bronco? I don't mind scratching and dings, but I don't want to thrash another truck.

I really like the idea of moving to a newer/bigger bronco but I also don't want to limit myself right from the get go. Id be on a budget, so no body chops, boat sides, bed bobs, etc in my immediate future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The width on the Bronco hasn't been an issue for me. It's got a bit of pin stripping down the side from branches and what not but havne't ran in to the problem of it not fitting.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I really don't think it's the sheer size of the FSB that limits it on trails. It's the weight.. It's a heavy mother... Jeeps are extremely light and coupled with large tires getting up and over rocks and ruts are much easier, but IMO the FSB properly set up will get you to almost the same places as the jeeps but you can carry more people and supplies and even tow stuff. I don't go to the crazy hard trails around socal but I've always been able to go where I want to without getting stuck. In fact I've seen jeeps behind me get stuck in the mud. To me the biggest advantage the FSB as an offroad vehicle is it's wide stance and short wheel-base.. something Jeeps, FJ's or pickups don't have. Humvees have this advantage helping to make it an incredible trail rig..

·
They call me "MR FLAT TIRE"
4,526 Posts
When I was in CA and wheeling the FSB...Size only mattered in the squeeze in Borrego. Watched a dude in a big Dodge beat the hell out of both sides...but he had a body shop and didn't care much I guess. I dont know if it can be done in a full size rig without damage. In the wayback time machine, I drove up the drop-off on the other side of the squeeze just to do all the trail except that 30' section.
Even the gate keeper at Calico (while snug) is doable without damage if you pick your line carefully. (at least it was the last time I went through) Yes without extreme body clearing.

I wouldn't worry about Bronco physical size. I'm a firm believer that most of the time it is driver skill rather than what vehicle is driven.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts