Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, this is the set up that i am thinking about making. I would appreciate if anyone had any ideas, about the latch, or anyhting else. everything that you see here is drawn to scale. i think that this looks like a pretty good set up, but just wondering what anyone else thinks. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
what about putting a little block on the bumper between the pin latch & the hinge under the tires center of it's weight. that was all the pressure wouldn't be on the hinge, plus if you made it fit tight i would probably cut down on any movement or rattleing. other than that looks good!

Travis

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i was planning on puttin in a block between the carrier, and the bumper with rubber padding on one side of it to keep from Rattling. also i will be welding on a stop on the front of the Carrier and adding rubber p[addingthere also to keep it from rattling and swinging too far and hitting the tail gate of the Bronco. Still wondering about the latch though. anyone have any ideas they'd like to share?

·
Zombie Hunter
13,687 Posts
Make your latch pin threaded, like an ACME thread, something big and durable. Any pin you put back there will rattle.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which tube are you talking about? are you talking about the tubing for the Carrier itself? if that is what you are talking about, then its because i want to keep the tire a little bit off to the side like the Factory position.

·
Administrator
22,849 Posts
the bar that your using to on the bottom of the carrier...you can run it full length of the bumper but still position the tire carrier where you want it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was thinking that setting it in a little bit would help with departure angles, and also would look nice.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah, that tube was added in for personal preference and apperance. i thought that it would look good.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I would mount the tire up higher on the carrier to help departure angle. Also I would make the 2x2 for the tire carrier go the whole length of the bumper as was already said. That way you could mount a jerry can or high lift. I would also tapper the ends of the bumper to help with departure angle and I think it looks better too.

Get a rock stomper hinger for the swing out.

The latch I don't know. I'm in the same boat working on a bumper for my 96 that's the only thing I haven't fully decided on yet. Maybe someone else will chime in with some ideas.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
i like it. i don't know how much it's needed but i would make the diagonal parts of the tire carrier meet higher up. just persoal preference.

and what are you gunna do for the hindge? does anyone have an idea that doesn't involve more than 60$? i like the rockstmper thing but i'd rather make something for mine.

i'd put the rubber block/tire support/anti rattle rubber thing on the swing out part of the carrier. that way you can get the main bumper part as high up as posible.

i'd leave a pin in the latch. if it rattled then i'd fix it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I used autoCAD 2004 to draw this up. i am just using a 1 inch pin and sleeving for the hinge with a lot of white lithium grease. thats the plan. i will put the rubber on the spare tire carrier and will probobly use a pin for the latch also. if need be, thewn i can alsways fix it, or come up with a different idea. i think that a pin will work fine.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

This is just a 3D version of what is above. AutoCAD Rocks! once again this is all to scale. the only thing that i am missing isthe small tube on the bottom of the bumper. i forgot to draw that in. I am still loooking for suggestions for a latch. i still dont know what i wantto do for that. Thanks

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
geocities, tripod, Yahoo, etc, don't allow hotlinking, like you're trying to do. Get yourself a supermotors account, upload your pictures there, then you can hotlink them here

*sure, NOW it shows up ...

1 - 20 of 61 Posts