Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I did done broke it
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for two bushings, both circled in red in the below picture.

Also, what can cause the tire carrier to randomly swing open?

·
Super Moderator
30,671 Posts
Yo InsanePyro,
EDITED
View attachment 181069
In 2014, I pulled the sleeve off and it is 9/16" OD; 3/8" ID; 2 7/16" L;
T40 on one end and 15mm on nut.
Used a 3' pipe on both ratchets. Soaked nut w/penetrant of diy brew of 5/50 mix of auto tran (or ps fluid) and acetone (borrowed from my better-half's nail polish remover).
I was able to flip the sleeve around because the wear was on Right side of sleeve because I still need to align the TG.

The sleeve is designed to be a sacrificial part as well as a Better noise (rattle, squeak, etc.) insulator than metal-on-metal and cheaper to replace (if Ford would only sell them) as are the door strike & TG strike bushings.

I ordered two Oil-Embedded Bronze Sleeve Bearing for 3/8" Shaft Diameter and 9/16" Housing ID, 1-1/4" Long from McMaster-Carr.
View attachment 181070
Part # 6391K185
View attachment 181072

For that release handle bushing (my vision is poor), is it #17 Fort part number FOTZ1400A ?
If so it is listed as discontinued, but see Products Archive - Page 1822 of 23918 - NOS Parts

ItemPart NumberDescription
11A401Locking Latch Bracket Reinforcement, Spare Wheel Carrier
21469Spare Wheel Carrier Support
3N606690-S55Screw and Washer
41433Spare Wheel Carrier
5N803207-S100Screw and Washer
61A429Spare Wheel Support
7388577-S150Pushpin
847104Spare Wheel Scuff Pad
957472-S2Screw and Washer
ATighten to 16-27 Nm
(12-20 Lb-Ft)
BTighten to 8-15 Nm
(6-11 Lb-Ft)

Tire carrier randomly swings open;
#18 Spring on lever may be defective

Striker sleeve isn't "captured" by latch, etc. #14 Latch jaws may be defective or needs to cleaned and lubed

In meantime, secure a stout bungee cord around support and #1 carrier or make up a SS steel cable with quich disconnects and wrap in plastic tubing, etc ala bicycle chain.

·
I did done broke it
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually took it off altogether for the time being, I suppose none of the main parts (latches and such) are available anymore?

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
4,666 Posts
I actually took it off altogether for the time being, I suppose none of the main parts (latches and such) are available anymore?
Actually you might find some at lmc truck Jeff's bronco graveyard or possibly partsgeek.com or Napa.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Going through this right now for the smaller one on the right. From what I can tell should there have also been a bushing through the handle bolt?

Also I tried a few places but it looks like all the handle and latch parts are obsolete.

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
95 Posts
Desolate Motorsports just came out with a replacement rod that will replace the bushing in the picture on the right and i believe energy suspension sells the one to replace the bushing in the left picture. Heres the link to the desolate part. HD Spare Tire Swingout Linkage

The energy suspension part number is 4.9106G. I've never installed one of these so I'm not 100 percent sure that it is what you are looking for but its what came up in a google search.

·
Registered
1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition
76 Posts
Desolate Motorsports just came out with a replacement rod that will replace the bushing in the picture on the right and i believe energy suspension sells the one to replace the bushing in the left picture. Heres the link to the desolate part. HD Spare Tire Swingout Linkage

The energy suspension part number is 4.9106G. I've never installed one of these so I'm not 100 percent sure that it is what you are looking for but its what came up in a google search.
Curious whether you bought this and installed it? If so, how's it working out?

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
95 Posts
Curious whether you bought this and installed it? If so, how's it working out?
I bought one and it is sitting in the garage with a whole bunch of other parts that need to be installed but I'm pretty sure at this point that the spare tire mount is going to be removed from my bronco in favor of a rear bumper that has an integrated tire swing. I'm planning on 37s and I really doubt that factory tire swing will handle 37s.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I bought one and it is sitting in the garage with a whole bunch of other parts that need to be installed but I'm pretty sure at this point that the spare tire mount is going to be removed from my bronco in favor of a rear bumper that has an integrated tire swing. I'm planning on 37s and I really doubt that factory tire swing will handle 37s.
Do you, by chance, have the two hinge pins for the corner support horns? If so, would you be interested in selling them?

·
Registered
1995 Ford Bronco
95 Posts
Do you, by chance, have the two hinge pins for the corner support horns? If so, would you be interested in selling them?
I have all the tire swing parts. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to be doing yet as far as the rear bumper and spare tire is concerned but if I do decide to removing the factory spare tire stuff then I will let you know. I don't even know what something like that would be worth or if selling them separate would ruin any value as the set as a whole. I'm pretty sure the factory stuff is leaving I just haven't fully committed yet though.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have all the tire swing parts. I'm not entirely sure what I am going to be doing yet as far as the rear bumper and spare tire is concerned but if I do decide to removing the factory spare tire stuff then I will let you know. I don't even know what something like that would be worth or if selling them separate would ruin any value as the set as a whole. I'm pretty sure the factory stuff is leaving I just haven't fully committed yet though.
Thanks. Please keep me in mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts