Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this has been answered before, no luck with search. Picked up a carrier from CL, complete except for bolts. Need the ones that mount the bracket to the tailgate itself, anyone know what size/ where I can get them?
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
what yr truck?

earlier ones were5/16 nc thread I believe and probably mid 80's went metric ,most likely 8.1.25 thread
probably need around 1'' long

my 78 has 5/16 bolts in all locations

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1995. Missing the 3 bracket mounting bolts, and I think there's some sort of strike plate at the bottom held on by either bolts or plastic push pins?

·
Super Moderator
26,022 Posts
yo B,

Type 3 Carrier is for 90 to 96
in attachment below;

Item Part Number Description

1 1A401 Locking Latch Bracket Reinforcement, Spare Wheel Carrier
2 1469 Spare Wheel Carrier Support
3 N606690-S55 Screw and Washer
4 1433 Spare Wheel Carrier
5 N803207-S100 Screw and Washer
6 1A429 Spare Wheel Support
7 388577-S150 Pushpin
8 47104 Spare Wheel Scuff Pad
9 57472-S2 Screw and Washer
A � Tighten to 16-27 Nm
(12-20 Lb-Ft)
B � Tighten to 8-15 Nm
(6-11 Lb-Ft)

Call local Ford dealers w/pn, may get lucky
also see this in by Steve83 at http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321865
EXCERPTS:

Swingaway Bolts for '78-96 Broncos
and;
"...Virtually all factory fasteners are Gr.5, but they're substantially better than typical Gr.5 hardware. The ones for the swingaway are also very distinct. Those bolts have 10mm head, a relatively small integral washer, & 8mmx1.25mm threads about 30mm long with an angled slot in the tip for self-tapping. Common hardware bolts won't fit because the heads are too large. Hex cap screws probably will fit, but they won't look right. The right ones CAN be found in JYs because they're the same for all '78-96 Broncos w/external spare. Similar bolts are used in other places on the body, and on many other Ford/L/M products.
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/894887_1

The first two 47104 pads are clear, like the self-adhesive laminating covers for cards. The last one with 2 pushpins is black self-adhesive plastic. They inevitably stretch & wrinkle because the rubber bumper sticks to it. If you want any of them to last, you have to keep that bumper lubed with a little silicone grease so it can slide on the pad. ..."

Btw, try to clean any debris and rust out of the holes and maybe some abit-seize on bolts threads; I had soaked my bolts with PB and home brew rust penetrant (50% mix of acetone and trans fluid), but one bolt head snapped off.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine is missing the little handle that allows it to unlatch from the tail gate bracket. Does anyone have any pictures from many directions? I can make my own, I just need to see how it's made so I can copy it.

To be honest, I'm not sure if it was there to begin with. It should be near the top where the tire carrier loops downward, but there's no sign of where the handle should have been. It's not rusty and I don't see where it could have been cut off.

·
Super Moderator
26,022 Posts
yo Olds,

Swing-Away, Type 2 (87-90) pic w/Parts Identification
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/544460

TSB 90-07-13
Publication Date: March 28, 1990
LIGHT TRUCK: 1990 BRONCO

ISSUE: High latching and operating efforts of the swing-away spare tire carrier may be caused by a lack of lubrication on the latch and striker assemblies.

ACTION: Lubricate the swing-away spare tire carrier latch and striker assemblies. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Make sure the spare tire carrier is latched. Both the primary and secondary latches must be engaged.
2. Spray multi-purpose grease (D7AZ-19584-AA) onto the latch mechanism located on the vertical bar of the swing-away carrier.
3. Make sure the tailgate striker is in the full up position and square. Do not allow striker misalignment.
4. Close the carrier.
* Both the primary and secondary positions must be latched.
* If the carrier does not latch, re-adjust the tailgate striker as required.
5. Lubricate the roll pin on the striker and the portion of the striker which engages the rubber sleeve on the carrier.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D7AZ-19584-AA Multi-Purpose Grease

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
900713A Lubricate Tire Carrier 0.4 Hr.

Swing-Away, Type 2 (87-90) Removal pics in an 89
Source: by Tim C (TnTbronco2, Trail Truck, Street Truck, Crazed, Broke, OoG) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/1725/9472

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
these are so plentiful in the junk yards, it should be very easy to get whatever you need there. Every bronco I have seen has still had the carrier on it. Might not be the case where you are, but here they are readily available.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Did your truck originally have a carrier?

If not, they are very difficult to add, to the point of not really worth it. (Requires welding a support into the passenger rear quarter panel)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already had one, P/O removed for a "cleaner" look, never made it back from Arizona. curiously, the quarter panel brackets are still on the truck, just need to remove the hinge pins and put it on. Can't believe 3 bolts could be so difficult to find.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yo Olds,

Swing-Away, Type 2 (87-90) pic w/Parts Identification
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/544460

TSB 90-07-13
Publication Date: March 28, 1990
LIGHT TRUCK: 1990 BRONCO

ISSUE: High latching and operating efforts of the swing-away spare tire carrier may be caused by a lack of lubrication on the latch and striker assemblies.

ACTION: Lubricate the swing-away spare tire carrier latch and striker assemblies. Refer to the following procedure for service details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Make sure the spare tire carrier is latched. Both the primary and secondary latches must be engaged.
2. Spray multi-purpose grease (D7AZ-19584-AA) onto the latch mechanism located on the vertical bar of the swing-away carrier.
3. Make sure the tailgate striker is in the full up position and square. Do not allow striker misalignment.
4. Close the carrier.
* Both the primary and secondary positions must be latched.
* If the carrier does not latch, re-adjust the tailgate striker as required.
5. Lubricate the roll pin on the striker and the portion of the striker which engages the rubber sleeve on the carrier.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
D7AZ-19584-AA Multi-Purpose Grease

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under Basic Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
900713A Lubricate Tire Carrier 0.4 Hr.

Swing-Away, Type 2 (87-90) Removal pics in an 89
Source: by Tim C (TnTbronco2, Trail Truck, Street Truck, Crazed, Broke, OoG) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/1725/9472
Thanks Miesk. That's exactly what I was looking for. Mine is missing that bar. I also have a piece of square tube that will fit it perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts