Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to take off the spare tire carrier and take off all of the paint, get rid of the rust, and repaint it... What is the best and cheapest way to do so? funds are limited but i want to get this done before anything else.
Also, i want to do the same to the black piece of the rear bumper that it under the plate and above the hitch, i believe it is the 3-hole piece...

thanks in advance.

·
Garage kept
1,186 Posts
have them sandblasted, then just repaint, most metal shops and airplane hangars have blasters

·
I killed Kenny...again
3,258 Posts
get a wire wheel for your grinder and go to town on it. that will strip most if not all of the paint and rust off, then just primer it and paint it your desired color. call it done

·
Banned
21,804 Posts
Get the tire carrier powdercoated. There's a shop here that'll do it for under $100 if you wanna ship it down here.

That bumper trim is plastic - just buy a new one & snap it on. I don't have that part, but I have the large one that covers the whole top of the bumper.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jrdbronco said:
get a wire wheel for your grinder and go to town on it. that will strip most if not all of the paint and rust off, then just primer it and paint it your desired color. call it done
i second this! i got a knotted wire wheel for my angle grinder and that was the best investment i have made with any of my tools! yes they are about $20 but they last forever and will strip ANYTHING. just be sure to wear gloves and eye protection, they sling shit everywhere!

-cutts-

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have the rear bumper with the diamond plated top and there is a black metal "plate" thing where the bumper indents in towards the body to display the liscense play... i guess the black piece is just a step deal or something, its not plastic, but metal...

but thank you all for you suggestions, i shall look into it a bit more... thanks

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i have access to the blaster, so ill most likely have to use that instead of some sort of grinder... but thank you all for the comments

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just did this to mine last week.

I took the wire wheel attachment and got the tough stuff off, then just some sandpaper and elbow grease to smooth everything else up. Painted it back flat black. Looks good to me.

Blaster would probally be more fun though...except that media getting all in your pants and all....

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts