Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out a rough guess how much do you guys think most bodyshops would want to remove my spare tire carrier, weld the holes on the side of the truck and the tailgate, and paint them to make it look as if there was never one there.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'd guess around $400.

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
What ya gonna do with the Carrier after it is off the truck?

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miketnf150 said:
Take it off yourself and then get you some dupli-color automotive touchup paint and paint the bolts and screw them back in the holes. Done deal!
I was going to do that but I have one problem. The Bronco has had some paint work done on that side toward the back. Whoever did the work painted around the tire carrier instead of removing it. I have it off right now and the old paint is showing where the carrier used to be(same color though). It kinda looks like shit.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to spent money fixing holes and it looks like crap so I put the tire carrier back on. One problem was I broke 2 bolts and the rest were rusty and the threads on the bolts were all worn out and looked like crap. Therefore I went to a hardware store and bought some metric bolts but couldn't find them in the stongest(grade 8) version in metric. I got some regular general use bolts. Do you guys think they will work and hold up or do you think they're too weak?

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Just bondo the holes and sand it all down yourself. Then you would only have to pay for the paint blending. Still would probably be in the hundreds I think. Dunno about the bolts holding up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey B-man, if you need one I think mine is laying in my garage somewhere. I'd send it to you for the cost of shipping. (I don't think I tossed it)

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Hulk said:
Hey B-man, if you need one I think mine is laying in my garage somewhere. I'd send it to you for the cost of shipping. (I don't think I tossed it)

That would be cool .. But , what year is your carrier off of? I need one for an 88. I had one for an older model, and it didn't fit.. Much thanks for the offer either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yeah i did the remove of tire carrier and then painted the bolts to match the drk. toredor red. looks sweet. on for the bolt things sticking out but still alittle better. also fyi, i have a 96 and my carrier weighed close to 50 lbs.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,451 Posts
Aikidoka said:
Just bondo the holes and sand it all down yourself.
This won't last for very long. I asked a body shop about it (bondo) and they advised against it. They told me they wouldn't do it period because it wouldn't last and they'd be liable, and having to repair it over and over every few months. A little while later, I was chiilin' over at GearHeads house and he had done this...I saw first hand why the body shop said it....it just don't work. The body flex makes the bondo "turn loose" ends up looking shittier than if you just paint the bolts and put 'em back in. Good idea Miketnf150, don't know why I never tohught of that....:beer

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
ya bondo leaves rings around the holes :brownbag

put some silicone on the screw and screwem back in(silicone to seal to keep rust out of tailgate they're bad enuf

·
Registered
268 Posts
B-man said:
That would be cool .. But , what year is your carrier off of? I need one for an 88. I had one for an older model, and it didn't fit.. Much thanks for the offer either way.
Mine is an 86, I'm pretty sure that would work on an 88, although I'm really running out of time. Tommorow is the last day I will be home before going to Afganistan and I have alot of stuff to do to make sure my wife can keep the household afloat until I get home.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Blaze said:
This won't last for very long. I asked a body shop about it (bondo) and they advised against it. They told me they wouldn't do it period because it wouldn't last and they'd be liable, and having to repair it over and over every few months. A little while later, I was chiilin' over at GearHeads house and he had done this...I saw first hand why the body shop said it....it just don't work. The body flex makes the bondo "turn loose" ends up looking shittier than if you just paint the bolts and put 'em back in. Good idea Miketnf150, don't know why I never tohught of that....:beer

I wonder if that epoxy weld stuff would do the same thing if you filled the hole with it and grinded (or however it's adjusted) it smooth....

·
Premium Member
6,781 Posts
Thanks for the word on the carrier Hulk. I have one off an 85-86 that won't work.. Come to find out my friend has had one laying in his backyard that was on a 1990!. So. scored there.

Prayers go out to you Hulk and come home safe and soon.

·
Banned
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just got an estimate to remove mine , weld the holes. paint, and restripe for $600. The tailgate even has a dent where the latch is from being slammed shut and they'd fix that. Yall think $600 is a good deal?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I would rather get a lift or tires then pay $600 for getting that done.
Get some stainless 10mm x 40mm button head screw and stick those in the holes.
Where are your pics or superford link?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
get your parts from approved sources. 10mmx40mm is fine, but use automotive test grade 8. Hardware stores generally are not recomended for parts for cars/Broncs. I've heard some horor stories.

And If I ever hear of one of y'all using hardware store bolt for your brakes or suspension( :duh ), I will personally take possesion of your rig and enjoy every minute of it (even fixing it) :thumbup

~Citter

1 - 20 of 27 Posts