Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to get new tires and I have seen alot of Broncos with no spare tire on the back? is it worth getting the 5th tire and having on the back or should I get 4 and take off the tire carrer on the back?

·
Administrator
22,843 Posts
your not serious are you? if you don't see one on the back then usually they are mounted in side...I would never run with out a spare.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You don't need a new tire for a spare, but not having a spare is not a particularly bright idea, regardless of where you are. Personally, I picked a 31x10.50 on a stock Bronco wheel with about 30% tread left for $25. Never had to use it yet, but it's in my car if I ever need it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
In agreeance with everyone here...carry a spare, or walk.... Only time i didnt have a spare EVER was when i was donating an old bronco II...something happened to one of the rims and since i was donating it to a summer camp, i figured they could find a spare. Wouldnt you know it, as soon as i got out of cell phone coverage...FLAT....remember, murphy is an a$$hole

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,986 Posts
DrewBarney said:
...or should I get 4 and take off the tire carrer on the back?
You do realize an interior rack was available?

I don't like the look of the outside tire so I swapped for the interior rack on my 88 and 84.

Adrianspeeder

S

·
0 Posts
i never heard anybody say that your spare had to be perfect ive used all sorts of crap but i wouldnt ever go without one

·
Registered
867 Posts
aurgathor said:
You don't need a new tire for a spare, but not having a spare is not a particularly bright idea, regardless of where you are. Personally, I picked a 31x10.50 on a stock Bronco wheel with about 30% tread left for $25. Never had to use it yet, but it's in my car if I ever need it.

:histerica :histerica :histerica ^^^^^^^^:histerica :histerica :histerica
i dont think its going to fit on your car if it has a flat......

I bought a matching rim from the junk yard, when I got new tires I also got a new 5th one for the spare. Ordered the matching center cap from ford to go on it, 45 bucks for that darn thing.
I rotate the spare in and out with the other tires when its time to rotate, just to keep the normal tread ware.

·
Registered
125 Posts
ski78 said:
i never heard anybody say that your spare had to be perfect ive used all sorts of crap but i wouldnt ever go without one
wow yea the whole perfect thing here, i bought a bronco tire rack with a brand new 265 goodyear for $20 it was the best deal i had ever made other than the truck itself for $300

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
one of the best mods is having a fullsize spare tire.... i learned this driving rcoss country when i had a 33 for a spare and 35s for the regulars.... not many people sell 35s in knoxville so i spent a day tracking down a spare 33 so i could get where i was going.... now i have two worthless unmatched 33s sitting in the garage..... you can drive too far with dif sized tires... it's more of a limp like that

·
Super Moderator
26,709 Posts
a good thAng about having an inside spare rack as Adrian has is if your are rear-ended by another FSB or sim. height vehicle; like our experience,their hood/grille, etc. hit the outside spare and bashed it in - tailgate was damaged beyond repair, glass shattered, & also crumpled quarter panel beyond repair. We were reared by a Tahoe at a very slow speed from a stop sign get away... he accidentally floored his Tahoe. Total damage was $5500.00

·
Call Me Ace
1,951 Posts
he's new guys- i dont think he noticed the different inside/outside brackets. do a quick search on this site- and youll see ALL the diffreent ways you can mount a tire.
ace

·
Registered
173 Posts
when I bought my new rims and tires (33's) I asked if they had a used 33 of the same brand that they could mount on one of my old rims and they said no problem and didn't even charge me for it. my old rims were the same width and height as the new ones so now theres no worries of getting stuck with a stock spare. as stated above, don't go without a full size spare.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts