Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after having my spare tire mounted on the oem tire rack it started to devolpe some cracks so i decided to make a new one out of 3/16 stainless steel.
i used the old studs.. all is tig welded except the studs. i could have had it polished but decided not to. it's alot longer then the oem. with my 35's on it i still had 4" of space between the tire and rack... dont have any pics of it mounted to the tire rack as i swapped taigates and the newer tailgate didnt have holes for the tailgate piece and i didnt want to drill holes in it. i'll probably put it up for sale soon... let me know what you think
here's some pics of it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
frist off you have mad welding skills!!!!! Are you going to place that on your oem tire rack, or build a new one? if you put back on the oem tire rack with the added leverage of it being longer than stock and the weight of 35 will rip the tailgate where the latch mounts, mine did after having a 35 mounted for 2 weeks. if you already have a spare tire rack you built i would like to see some pics. and it looks awsome. :thumbup

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
90 bronc said:
frist off you have mad welding skills!!!!! Are you going to place that on your oem tire rack, or build a new one? if you put back on the oem tire rack with the added leverage of it being longer than stock and the weight of 35 will rip the tailgate where the latch mounts, mine did after having a 35 mounted for 2 weeks. if you already have a spare tire rack you built i would like to see some pics. and it looks awsome. :thumbup
as much as i would like to take credit for the welding i cant it was welded by a friend of mine as my skills with tig isnt that great and didnt want to lose my spare while i was driving... i did have it mounted to the oem tire rack for about 10 months and didnt notice any metal fatigue.... when i do build my own bumper it'll go on it
Ralphenstein said:
Looks nice man.

3/16" or 316 Stainless?
type 316 stainless 3/16" thick as the oem was 1/8 and that started to crack in a few places...price of materials and labor was free

·
Registered
118 Posts
massbronco said:
as much as i would like to take credit for the welding i cant it was welded by a friend of mine as my skills with tig isnt that great and didnt want to lose my spare while i was driving... i did have it mounted to the oem tire rack for about 10 months and didnt notice any metal fatigue.... when i do build my own bumper it'll go on it

type 316 stainless 3/16" thick as the oem was 1/8 and that started to crack in a few places...price of materials and labor was free
my tire was a 35x14.50 swamper the combo was well over 100 lbs too. looks great and keep us posted on how it works

1 - 5 of 5 Posts