Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok when I replaced all my ignition components with MSD stuff I picked up a slight stuttering. I would almost call it a miss but I know it isnt. Its more like a warbling or shuttering. I ran the wires 1-2-3-4 together and 5-6-7-8 together and I remember reading somewhere that a couple of the wires could not be run together without causing cross-fire (Which is what I think I am experiencing).

Anyone know which wires can not be run side by side? Truck still runs and drives fine but seems like it is trying harder. I am wanting to say that 7 & 8 cant be run together but I think there was another pair and I cant remember. I will get 7 & 8 moved around once this cold front lifts its like 11 degrees out.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
Cross fire should not be an issue with your new wires as they are better protected from this then your old ones (newer material). I'd re-check the firing order from the cap, timing and make sure you set the distributer up right - #1 at TDC on compression when you drop it in.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I had all the wires attached to the cap in the right order but off by one peg would it cause this? I wasnt sure if I put #1 on the right post, I know I got the order right around the cap, but it is possible that I could be off one peg to the left or right.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Pull them off and do it agian. The diagrams in the manauls show which wire goes where pretty clear.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull them off and do it agian. The diagrams in the manauls show which wire goes where pretty clear.
I used the manual, and I couldnt really tell clearly which post #1 went to, that is why I stated that I could be off by one peg left or right.

Would it hurt anything to pull them all off and rotate them 1 peg to the left or right and see how it runs?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Wouldnt the truck run much worse than it is if the wires were moved over 1 peg to the left or right?

I am not sure on a cross fire situation, but I know I did not route my wires correctly when I replaced them and I was picking up a lot of engine noise. I routed them properly and that went away. So, even though they may be shielded, they should still be routed properly. I will go check the routing schematics on my lunch and see if I can post em up, although its a 95 with a 302 so that may not even help.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THinking about here, it might not be a wire problem at all, it just might be the fact that I have the plugs gapped to .055 with the standard timing. They should be gapped at .042. Maybe I should pull the plugs and regap them back down to the correct gap since I aint going to change the timing to 13.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,513 Posts
Never got around to bumping the timing after my upgrades including .055 gap no issues except for the #6 plug wire poped off and was grounding to the TTB, that made it a real dog on the hills. After putting it one all was good.
So no the gap should not cause your problem.

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Lets see... on my 302, the number one peg on the distributor is the one pointing straight back towards the cab. Its like top, centered towards the cab.....

Number 1 wire runs off the cap direct to the plug. Number 2 wire runs off the cap, over number 1 wire and to the plug. Number 3 wire runs off the cap, over number 1 and to the plug. Number 4 runs under number 3, over number 1and to the plug.

Number 5 runs off the cap and to the plug. Number 6 runs off the cap, under number 5 and to the plug. Number 7 runs off the cap, over number 6, back under number 6 and to the plug. Number 8 runs off the cap, over number 6 back under number 6 adn to the plug. Number 7&8 never cross each other.

By the schematic, the wires crossing over eachother do it closely to the cap and when the cross each other twice, one is close to the cap and the other is closer to the plugs.

Clear as mud???

One other thing you might check is your vacuum lines. I broke 4 of them when I was routing my lines this weekend and ended up redoing the entire vacuum line system for my emissions crap......

Hope this helps more than it confuses!

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
On a 302, definitely check the routing. There should be a sticker under the hood, or there's an image of one in Steve83's supermotors stuff.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I just did the same thing with my truck which is incidentally the same year!

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592

My plugs were gapped to .055 as well only I didn't confirm it. I need to take them all out and check em. I used MSD everthing cept the plugs. I went with the FMC for those. The truck is running good though. Still need to do the timing.

As I recall the correct firing order is on that thread. From what I understand your 302 isn't HO.

Cross fire should not be an issue with your new wires as they are better protected from this then your old ones (newer material). I'd re-check the firing order from the cap, timing and make sure you set the distributer up right - #1 at TDC on compression when you drop it in.
:stupid

I crossed one of wires and it sounded as though you described,
I hope this helps you.

D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok just to make absolutely sure I have it correct. What is the correct firing order around the distributor starting with #1?

Also the driverside of the engine is 1-2-3-4 and the passenger side is 5-6-7-8 correct?

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
The firing order on my 302 going around the cap clockwise is as follows:

1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

The passenger side is 1 2 3 4
Drivers side is 5 6 7 8

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
I know.... I have read they are the same and have been waiting for someone to confirm that in this thread!!! Well, sorry I cant help more 93. Me and my stewpid 302!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you positive on the driver and passenger side deal...if so I am swapped? :shrug

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
Thats affirmative. At least on mine..... Just went out and qaudrupale checked it. Anyone with a 351 wanna chime in on this??

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
The firing order on my 302 going around the cap clockwise is as follows:

1 8 4 5 6 2 7 3

The passenger side is 1 2 3 4
Drivers side is 5 6 7 8
The published firing order goes COUNTER-clockwise starting at the #1 plug. That's also the direction the rotor rotates.

So, just to clear this up, a regular pre-1994 5.0L should have the following firing order:

1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8

A 1994+ 5.0L and any 5.8L should have the following order:

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

The layout, as you are standing in front of the truck and looking down on the motor is:

4------8
3------7
2------6
1------5
.....O.....

The "O" is the distributor location.

You guys didn't look at Steve83's album, did you?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
It realy isnt this hard. The diagrams make it so easy.

Use the tabs that the cap clips come down on as reference points. They should be in the diagrams as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts