Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am trying to get ready for a trail run coming up and am trying to do a few last minute "make her run strong" fixes. I want to change out spark plug wires and coil and distributor and cap and rotor and i guess basiccally just everything on the ignition end. So my question is, what plug wires should i get. can i get some suggestions from everyone. my choices seem broad and they seem to vary and i am not sure what's best or what will plug right up. I don't know the difference betwwen 8mm sprial or 8.8mm suspression or straight boot or 45* boot or 90* boot. What i want is a set of plug wires that will plug right up without any issues but will not be an issue as far as clearance. My old motor puts off alot of heat so whatever fits best around the manifold and can handle more heat than your average plug wire.

also, i have seen the 6 liter upgrade and i don't think i am up to messing with my timing. Perhaps its not as hard as i expect it to be but i don't know the first thing about timing how to do it or how to check it. so i want to toss that out there before someone suggests it.

So what does everyone use? Mainly looking for plug wires but i would be open to hearing what everyone uses as far as ignition combo goes. IE- coil, wires, plugs, cap rotor. again, i am not sure what's best or what will give me the best performance so your suggestionns are apprecated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you not had good luck with yours? How'd they work out. Plug right up, no issues? And see these are 9mm. so what's the deal/difference in the mm?

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I haven't gotten them yet. :rofl:

But when I do, I'll tell you how it goes.

·
Registered
668 Posts
i got the ford racing 9mm wires. they run good with no problems. They were a huge improvement over my stock wires that had over 180k on em

·
Registered
13 Posts
Using the Ford 9mm wires, works great. Also the wires are numbered so it makes it easy to pull the dist. cap, replace wires, then just hook em up! :beer

Not to mention the red wires are purty, match the coil and dist. cap now!

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
got the ford racing wires love them especially the numbers right on them. and i even got them to fit into the factory holders.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Motorcraft or Autolite Professional. If you want something that lasts many years, that is.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really, too long huh. Surely can't be too long to be an issue if so many others like 'em. Also, new question. Figured while i'm doing this i might as well buy a new distributor. I am seeing two options from the auto part store. One with the TFI module and one without. What's the module for and do i need one with it? I am decently mechanically inclined, but not real informed on the specifics of parts.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Though I feel that the Ford Racing Wires are too long for the 351 application, by at least several inches.
Same here, and 302 as well (Same Plug wires)

That's why I run cut to fit wires, it's the only way to get a truly good fit.
Accell 300+ for the win!
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-7005/

But if your not willing to cut/assemble the dizzy end of your wires, than the Ford racing 9mm are a good alternative.
:thumbup

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am running the Performance Distributors wires. They are 10mm and have a heat shield over them that I believe was 1400*F. http://www.performancedistributors.com/ I have had mine on the truck for bout 2 years and no problems what so ever. Also lots of color choices. Just another option for you.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input Gack. Are they difficult to assemble? Last thing i need is a poor connection screwing me up. me and electricity don't get along. We have an understanding. It sucks and i avoid it. LOL any input on the dizzy question? with TFI module or without?

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Thanks for the input Gack. Are they difficult to assemble?
Nah, just take your time.

Why replace the dizzy and coil?
They are not considered wear items, so unless they are broke, why fix them?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nah, just take your time.

Why replace the dizzy and coil?
They are not considered wear items, so unless they are broke, why fix them?
sure they are, that's why you can buy replacements. :toothless

but seriously, seems like they are original and i have almost 300K on the motor and seems like it would improve spark distribution over continuing to use old stuff. The motor feels old/sluggish. Just want to do all i can to get it to run the best it can for it's age. Thought that would help. am i wrong?

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's not that the Ford wires are a bad deal, quite the opposite in fact. You do get very good wires for about half what a 'better fitting' set is going to cost you, so I'd call that a win.
All I am saying is that a) it's not looking as clean and b) there's a bigger chance of a wire directly touching something it should not.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
It's not that the Ford wires are a bad deal, quite the opposite in fact. You do get very good wires for about half what a 'better fitting' set is going to cost you, so I'd call that a win.
All I am saying is that a) it's not looking as clean and b) there's a bigger chance of a wire directly touching something it should not.
I kinda view that as you have a little extra play for your routing. Besides it can only be so clean if you're then running it under your mustang boot to protect the dizzy.

I plan to buy these. And the question about 45/90* is simple. They are just stating your dizzy boot ends will all be 90* and you get a 45* at the cylinder, which is what you want.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts