Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im stuck between the taylor spiro pro and the ford racing. MSD is a little too expensive. And what is the different between 8mm and 9mm and which is better? i jus replaced my plugs and i did search before i posted.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
I've been using 9mm FMSR wires for many years and like the way they hold up, look and last time I checked, Jegs sold them for $47.00 plus....at a google glance states 9mm wire circumference is larger, maybe more heat resistant but not sure about "boost"....

Also running MSD cap, rotor and 48K coil, the set of wires on now are from 2008 when I swapped in a new 302 EFI long block, still going strong.....

There's lots of excellent brands out there, I'm a Ford guy so...

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
I scrape on both sides
3,035 Posts
you could get the streetfires from oriellys. cost me under 50 but had to cut and boot myself.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I too would like to know the difference between the 8mm and 9mm? Aside from the obvious....size

·
Registered
130 Posts
its just that (size). bigger wire less resistance, more spark, less heat due to less resistance, if your gonna pop for a fancy coil then yea get the bigger wires

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
its just that (size). bigger wire less resistance, more spark, less heat due to less resistance, if your gonna pop for a fancy coil then yea get the bigger wires
:stupid

Same reason why we upgrade our alt charge cables and battery wires to a larger gauge....less resistance.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
are the ford wires solid wire core? is that the ones to do 6liter tune up.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
are the ford wires solid wire core? is that the ones to do 6liter tune up.
They aren't solid core as I recall. Just a regular suppression type plug wire that is good quality. I've been very happy with my Ford racing wires.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So if by the same standard would it be bad to upgrade to 9mm wires of you didnt get a higher power coil?

·
Registered
816 Posts
No, I run the Ford Racing wires on a 6 liter tune up, But I kept the stock coil.

Working just fine, and I'm able to run 14.5* BTC timing from the bump. It was on 15, but I backed it off just in case.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone for your reply's, it helped alot. I just ordered the ford racing wires in blue. :beer

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
For the Sixlitre "ignition & timing" upgrade, IIRC using ALL new ignition components was important for maximum performance benefit, especially a 48K coil but any NEW brand of ignition components would do the job.

I think he just liked MSD along with the 9mm FMSR wires as most of us do....:rockon

·
Registered
616 Posts
Ive heard so many bad things about MSD's coil, who else makes one that is a good "higher output than stock" coil? Ford Racing?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Whats the rating of the stock Coil?

·
Registered
616 Posts
Not sure but I know a 48k is not stock.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone else buy replacement wires and get a bunch of Willy-Nilly sizes that dont match the stock ones? It was totally catywumpis and everything is going everywhich way. Crossfire is probably a major issue in my engine.
also interested in this coil thing...Accell is also a popular company for coils ive heard

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Maybe I've been lucky but I've haven't had a bad experiece with MSD products to date, approx 6 years or so........AND the current ignition components have been on since 2008 new then when I swapped in my new 302 EFI long block and they're still going strong......go figure....:rofl:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts