Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I recently installed a full stereo system in my 96 Bronco (as a former import tuner, I still need a good sounding stereo system, sorry). For some reason, my rear driver's side speaker is really quiet. It's playing, but it's maybe 1/4 as loud as the other speakers. I was told by my local shop that it's probably a ground, but I can't get it in there until Friday. I was wanting to get it fixed ASAP so I can finish setting up my system. Can anyone tell me where the ground is for this speaker, or what else the problem might be? And by way, yes, I checked the speaker. I tried 2 brand new speakers in there, too, and got the same result, and they all work find on the other side. Thanks!

·
Crusher Mike
6,115 Posts
are you running off the stock connection ?? I junked that because of similar problems and ran an amp. Now i have a clear loud stereo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have the stock wiring. I got a head unit, speakers, amp and sub, but the speakers aren't running off the amp, just off the head unit. I'm sure that eventually I'll upgrade and get an amp on the speakers, too, but for now this is what I have. Any ideas?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ground that speaker to the body under the speaker screw to the mounting bracket. That worked fine for me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I also ran into the exact same problem in my wife's '93. Me personally, I spent a few bucks for some good speaker wire and just ran new. Seeing as how I was installing quality speakers, figured I might as well run some decent wire. Wasn't that bad either since I had the carpet pulled back for the sub wiring.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I tried grounding the negative terminal to the mounting bracket, but it just made the speaker cut out completely. As far as rewiring, I can't even see where the wires run. I see they go up under the door sill, and up against the firewall, but from there I'm lost. There are so many groups of wire. Can you help me out on this one Oregonian?

·
Registered
77 Posts
BigSteve77 said:
Ground that speaker to the body under the speaker screw to the mounting bracket. That worked fine for me.
Something sounds very wrong to me about doing that, but maby it works fine, I'm going to have to think on this one. If it does work, you should have a decent sized ground strap from your radio to the frame, because if you did this with all of your speakers, they are all using that single ground point.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Pull the head unit out and swap the right and left rear speaker wires and see if the problem switches to the right side,if so,then the head unit or the plug from the head unit is at fault,if not ,then rewire the left rear speaker.With rewiring,once you get to the firewall you can route the wires where you need to,to reach the radio.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I had a similar problem with the same speaker location on my 89. Ended up just runing new wire. Take it from the back of the head unit, keep it under the dash over to the kick panel. Tuck it behind the kick panel, under the plastic door sill (it comes off with a couple screws and there's a space under it perfect for running wire) then just pull off that back panel behind the door in front of the speaker housing and run the wire behind it. It doesn't take more then an hour to do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help everyone. I pinpointed the Gremlin. I let the "installers" at Best Buy put my head unit, and I guess the in that goes into the wiring harness for the negative wire of the rear speaker wasn't pushed in all the way. So I pushed it in, and problem solved. Sad, no?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts