Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked and looked on here and cant seem to find my exact answer. So basically i pulled off the door panels and front speaker, and was going to see if my 6.5" RF would fit but they dont. Its a little big. I dont mind drilling but i wanted to ask if it would fit in the door without having the tweeter stick out and keep the doorpanel from coming back off. Also; I have a RF sub rated at 300 Watts. If i add a 300 Watt amp, would my alternator and battery have a hard time with it? I don't want to do any modification if not nessasary. Oh also, i looked at my battery yesterday and noticed it was a RV/Marine battery. Is this alright?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I PUT 5X7'S IN THE FRONT DOOR AND WITH A SMALL AMP LIKE THAT YOU SHOULD BE OK IF IT WILL GIVE YOU PEACE OF MIND BUY A SMALL CAPACITOR AND THAT WILL TAKE TENSION OF YOUR BATTERY AND ALTENATOR

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I have my tweeter mounted right above my power switches in my 92, it does sit right on the door but being seal it causes no problems.
With one amp you should be okay, if you add another you will need to do a 3g alt swap. Don't add a cap either its just a bandaid to a bigger problem.

Roman.

·
LS Swap Everything!
26,232 Posts
Okay... stop. What year & trim level bronco do you have?

4" speakers, and I believe 5.25" speakers will fit the doors of my 1991 I have 4" pioneer 2 ways in the doors right now. Be careful that they do not go too deep as to interfere with the window.

the rear speakers are 5"x7" in the 1987-1991. They have a very odd mounting system, in that the speakers mount to a removable plastic grill, not the truck itself. You'll find that 5x7's are a rare animal and most companies only carry one or two models in that size.

1992-1996 broncos come with OEM 6x9's that are hard mounted to the inner quarters.

You will find that a lot of guys use 6x9's in their 5x7 equipped broncos because the 6x9's are easier to come by, more affordable, and can be purchased just about anywhere.

I recommend fitting your 6.5" fosgates to the rear quarters (if you have an 87-91). To do this, you can either cut a 6.5" hole in a rectangular piece of wood and fit that over the original mounting hole, or you can buy some 6.5" remote mounted boxes pictured below, cut the carpet off, and remove the speaker mounting piece. This will allow you to affix them in place over the original odd shaped hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
92-96 came with 5x7/6x8 in the rear from Ford....6x9 can be made to fit with some massaging.

6.5 should fit in the front doors, may have to drill new mounting holes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
In my 87 I put in 6 1/2s in the front and 6x8s in the back. Couldn't use the speaker grilles that came with the speakers but it fits fine. Idk if yours is different though

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.com App

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
I have a 91 Eddie B. and I have 6.5's in the doors and 6x8's in the back. If that helps any. All the bolting patterns matched up. You can't run with grills unless you want to do some cutting. I don't know if the RF 6.5's are much higher when compared to Kicker which is what I have for mids and highs but my 6.5's have the tweeter upfront and it fit just fine behind my doors. For the sub I wouldn't think you would have any problems. Right now I am running 2 Fosgate 12's and a 1000 watt amp and have no problems with dimming for anything. By RV/Marine battery I am guessing that is a deep cell, at least it should be. That will be fine running with your subs, when you getting into higher end audio everyone runs a deep cell battery up front.

hope this helps some

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
the rear speakers are 5"x7" in the 1987-1991. They have a very odd mounting system, in that the speakers mount to a removable plastic grill, not the truck itself. You'll find that 5x7's are a rare animal and most companies only carry one or two models in that size.

You will find that a lot of guys use 6x9's in their 5x7 equipped broncos because the 6x9's are easier to come by, more affordable, and can be purchased just about anywhere.
most 6x8's I see have the same bolting pattern as the 5x7's That is what I put in mine

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! I will see tommorrow when i get off work if the RF fit. When i had test fit them, i could already see i needed to drill new holes which isnt much of a problem. As for the sub, i'll just be using a 300 watt amp so it shouldn't do much of an impact on my electrical system.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In my 80 i have 6x9 rf in the doors and in the back beside the rear seat they fit perfect. I have a 4 channel rf prime amp to run them along with a 300 watt rf amp to run my 10inch rf amp. Its sounds really good i love it. I have no issues or problems other than my hearing is taking a beating. I have a stock alt but a much larger battery. Ive ran this setup for along time and havent had any problems. I also let a reputable sound shop install it all even though i could do it myself. I love Rockford fosgate equipment and other than the head unit its all i put in my vehicles. I will take som pics if you like when i get home.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my 80 i have 6x9 rf in the doors and in the back beside the rear seat they fit perfect. I have a 4 channel rf prime amp to run them along with a 300 watt rf amp to run my 10inch rf amp. Its sounds really good i love it. I have no issues or problems other than my hearing is taking a beating. I have a stock alt but a much larger battery. Ive ran this setup for along time and havent had any problems. I also let a reputable sound shop install it all even though i could do it myself. I love Rockford fosgate equipment and other than the head unit its all i put in my vehicles. I will take som pics if you like when i get home.
I'm the same way. Everything i've ever owned and used was Rockford Fosgate. I'm using a Sony headunit but that's it. I've got a RF Power Sub and Amp, along with 2 6.5 RF Power Coaxial peakers. I hope i can add the speakers to where they fit though...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pioneer Head unit, old school ppi 450 running 4 jl vr 6.5 component sets. Front just put the tweets in the door about where the window crank would go, and in the back seat i removed the ash trays made a plate covered with some fabric and inserted the tweeters in there and made another adapter plate to go from the 5x7 to a 6.5. mounted the amp on the back pass. side compartment. I will soon be putting in another amp and some subs along with a 5 farad capacitor. I have always found ford alternators to be pretty powerful but it never hurts to Upgraydd (2 d's for a double dose of his pimpin) to a higher amperage alternator if you are going to be running more than one amp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha dude! I have the same exact amp, and head unit! I think i also have the same exact front speakers too. Oh and where did you get your dash install kit at? I see one at Walmart that says something like 86 to 95 bronco and the full size is listed on it. Just wondering if this would work. Also, way off topic, but my front right door actuator is jammed. I don't really want to isntall things until i get it fixed cus people can just walk in and steal all my stuff. How would i unstick my actuator? Or is there a way to just take it off so i can just manually lock and unlock it? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.