Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i have a question for people that work with oxygen / acetalene(sp) torchs, and general transport.

Is there any special lincese/certificates/documentation that i need to have when i transport large oxygen and acetalene(sp) tanks in the back of my bronco? as for the past week i've had the tanks in the back, just took em out today. as latly i have had the need to have them with me (working at diff locals).

so do i need have any thing special in case the cops start asking a million questions on why i have the tanks in my bronco.

My father says i need some type of medical permit or something like that to transport hazordous objects with...

·
Teddy Bear
2,209 Posts
i dont know about NY but in MO ive been pulled over with the oxy/ace tanks in plain view and they said nothing, i was 17 at the time

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my father was complaining about me having them in my truck with nh plates. i've had these in plan veiw for atleast 2wks now and the local cops patrol were i park(on foot) and look into the vehicles as they walk by. sometimes when i come out of school and get in my truck and they never say a thing to me about it.

i just dont want to get a heafty fine if i need a permit or somthin

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
it is illegal to haul them in the passanger compartment in IL.
as far as a pickup, nothing special required.

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
any flammable gas such as Acetylene is not supposed to be hauled in an enclosed cab in Ohio. I do short trips with them, but i wouldn't leave them in there unless i needed to.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, im looking into that to see if i need a license or a special permit to haul them at all, cause according to my dad is in the state of CT you need a permit or a medical license to haul the tanks.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I'm not sure about the legality of hauling them inside of a vehicle, I'm pretty sure that is determined on a state by state basis. The last time I had mine filled I noticed a sign on the dock at National Welders that said in NC there is a $10,000 fine for transporting acetylene tanks in other than an upright position. :shrug I read the sign, then laid both of my tanks on their side in the back of my van and left. Come and get me coppers.:toothless But if you really want to know I'm sure you could call any of your local welding supply places and they could tell you.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea them or the local cops, they might know too, (Well they should if they paul you over and haul you in on that reason)

im gonna talk to one of them today after school

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ox&acy

You don't need a special permit to transport them by law they are to be standing up- right and secured in a bottle rack or tied with rope.Been a pipefitter & welder for 20 yrs. been pulled over plenty of times as long as they are upright and secured they are legal. It's not good to lay a acyt. tank down because the liquid gas at the bottom runs to the top of the bottle and mixes with the gas if layed down you should wait about a 1/2 hour before using bottle. Best to get a small trailer and secure them upright for your safety.:goodfinge :rebelflag

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this summer im gonna be taking the top off so, then im gonna put them in there upright for now, i took em out, and if need em i'll go home and get them off my front porch. idk if there is enough room to stand the act. tank upright or not, the oxy tank is gonna have to lay down.

Do i need any signs on the vehicle to say that i am transporting flameable goods?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts