Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone had any problems with a speed sensor.

My 88 FSB (351W, 3 spd. auto) has 2 probs that i think may be related.

1. My speedometer/odometer doesn't work. It used to biounce between 0 and 45 when i let off the gas while driving but now it doesn't do anything.

2. after driving at highway speeds for 30-45 minuted, my ABS lite goes on.

any ideas???

also...the switch to my heater/ ac doesn't seem to work. the switch moves up and down but nothing blows out of the vents.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw several threads that covered this topic but didnt completely answer the question?
Does just cleasing off the VSS take care of the proble?
Does the speed sensor need to be replaced??
Is the excitor ring the problem? (whatever the heck that is)

I ask these things because i am a mental midget when it comes to mechanical aptitude/ ability. I am just looking for some info. Any would help.

I would also appreciate any advice on how to do this myself (special tools, tricks, etc.)

Gracias

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Yeah the VSS can be taken off of the top of the rear diff and cleaned off. Usually thats is all that is needed, sometimes it needs to be replaced, and it is around 30bucks if I remember right. The ring inside the diff is what spins with the axle that the VSS reads off of. This should fix your ABS problem.

However the VSS wasn't used for the speedometer untill 92, yours is cable driven off your transfer case. Prolly the plastic gear inside the case is busted.

Adrianspeeder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts