Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new speedo gear in my 205 transfer case Is the one in a 2wd four speed transmission the same as the one in the transfer case?

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Not sure, but they are cheap at Jeff's bronco graveyard....

Reactions: Johnnyreb1

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
There is a formula in the Bronco Graveyard Catalog to figure out what speedo gear you need base on tire size and gear ration you're running, unfortunetly, they don't have it on their web site. I have a catalog in the garage some place, I'll dig around tomorrow for it and if I find it, I'll post it here.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only thing I can find at Jeffs is the gear that goes on the end of the cable. Where is the gear that goes in the transfer, I will have to pull mine out to see how many teeth it has should be 7 I think

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts
The speedo gear on the transfer case is on the output shaft and in order to get to it, you will have to pull the output yoke and then the housing. Are you sure this is what is bad?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I had the transfer case out a month or so ago and put all new seals in it and noticed the gear was wore a lot but thought it would be ok. Since then the speedometer has had problems. I have changed the gear on the end of the cable and the speedometer twice.

·
Premium Member
2,211 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I found one a couple of months ago at a place in New York called 4xheaven. Look online for them. I found their ad in the back of a 4wheel and offroad magazine. They are very difficult to find. Took me several weeks.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally found a whole transfer case with a good gear for 150 I also scored a good windshild for my 74 flatbed as well

·
Registered
34 Posts
Does anyone know where to source one of these speedo gears that is in the T-case. Mine is worn to a point where it no longer makes contact with the gear on the end of the cable.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the lead on the gear. I went ahead and bought one, took the old one out, sure enough it was stripped and looked really bad. I installed the new one and made sure the engagement from the gear on the end of the cable was good before buttoning up the T-case. Went for a test drive, still nothing from the speedo. I hooked my drill up to the end of the cable again and the speedo works in the counter-clockwise rotation only. Any ideas as to why I still don't have a working speedometer? I am at a loss at this point. When inserting the speedo cable into the t-case, is there a certain depth that it needs to be at or is it press it all the way in and tighten the retaining bolt?

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sound like the speed o meter is bad

try driving in reverse. My guess is it works in R only
Man for some reason I just figured that the speedometer didn't work in reverse, but I bet you're right. It's probably ready to be replaced. Thanks for the idea. I'll test it and reply back this weekend.

·
Registered
415 Posts
They work in R. I understand why you would think they do not. I just have happen to looked down at mine backing up out of a long drive way and found it interesting to see the needle move.

·
Registered
34 Posts
They work in R. I understand why you would think they do not. I just have happen to looked down at mine backing up out of a long drive way and found it interesting to see the needle move.
So I bought a new speedo from BG and it only works in the counter-clockwise position as well. I haven't installed it yet but spinning it with my fingers will only net movement in the counter-clockwise rotation. Did I get a faulty gauge?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts