Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer quit workin on me the other day. I've looked and looked, but can't seem to find where the damn thing hooks too. Can anyone help me out? I'm used to seein it hooked to the transmission, but I can't find it. Any help would be beneficial. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It drops into the transfer case. You probably broke the inner cable. Replacements are available as long as the outer speedo cable is ok. Sometimes the outers get shredded when the inner lets loose.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahhh...no wonder I couldn't find it. I never even thought to look at the t-case. :duh Hopefully I haven't destroyed the out case. Otherwise, I guess it's off to the salvage yard for me!:chili:

Would that also explain why sometimes the speedo goes up to 25 mph, then drops again erraticly?

·
Super Moderator
26,292 Posts
yo,

Cable & Speedometer Head "... Speedometers get into trouble when cables bind or magnetic heads cease due to the absence of lubrication. Like the humble car clock, speedometers need periodic maintenance, too. The spinning speedometer head needs occasional lubrication (speedometer-head lubricant). Pull the cluster out, disconnect the cable, and feed modest doses of lubricant into the head once a year. Don't overdo it. While you're at it, pull the speedometer cable out and bathe it in white grease and a low-viscosity engine oil. This combination will keep it happy for thousands of miles..."

Gear Change in a 90
Source: by Keith L (TTB Blows, Bling-Bling) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/139/13464
use it to remove your cable and yard cable..

GL!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I will hafta try that out and see if it works. From what I've seen, I doubt the previous owner did any kind of maintenance like that.:twak Thanks again!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ahhh...no wonder I couldn't find it. I never even thought to look at the t-case. :duh Hopefully I haven't destroyed the out case. Otherwise, I guess it's off to the salvage yard for me!:chili:

Would that also explain why sometimes the speedo goes up to 25 mph, then drops again erraticly?
You also should check your speedo driven gear. Most of the gear were nylon, and tend break teeth. If you are unhooking your cable anyway, would probably be a good pop it out and quickly check it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You also should check your speedo driven gear. Most of the gear were nylon, and tend break teeth. If you are unhooking your cable anyway, would probably be a good pop it out and quickly check it.

How much of the t-case do I need to tear down to get to it? The truck's my daily driver, so I can't have it down for weeks.

·
Super Moderator
26,292 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts