Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a bouncy speedometer when I first bought the truck. Bought a new cable and installed it but no change. Now it sticks and spins and all kinds of crazy things. Any helpfull thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
26,951 Posts
yo,
Cable & Speedometer Head "... Speedometers get into trouble when cables bind or magnetic heads cease due to the absence of lubrication. Like the humble car clock, speedometers need periodic maintenance, too. The spinning speedometer head needs occasional lubrication (speedometer-head lubricant).
Pull the cluster out, disconnect the cable, and feed modest doses of lubricant into the head once a year. Don't overdo it. While you're at it, pull the speedometer cable out and bathe it in white grease and a low-viscosity engine oil. This combination will keep it happy for thousands of miles..." MIESK5 NOTE; Some Speedo ends (at Speedo) are held on by a plastic clip: place Index finger on Metal Tube & thumb on plastic ring flat surface; Press Flat Surface of clip & Pull Cable from Speedo (Ford calls the speedo end the Head; or screwed on:Turn the cable end counterclockwise to disconnect. You may need an open end wrench.

Cable Replacement & Depiction at Speedometer Head & Transfer Case Tail Housing in 89-91
Source: by Chilton

AS NASTY ADVISED;
Gear Change in a 90 (in Xfer Case Tail Housing)
Source: by Keith L (TTB Blows, Bling-Bling) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/139/13464

·
Registered
754 Posts
Turned out my mechanical speedo on another truck the new cable did not fix the jumping , but a new housing and a new cable did the trick.
Paul
======================
Had a bouncy speedometer when I first bought the truck. Bought a new cable and installed it but no change. Now it sticks and spins and all kinds of crazy things. Any helpfull thoughts?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Its 99% of the time a problem with the cable... try getting under the truck and have someone inside looking at the speedo. turn the speedo cable with your hand/screwdriver (it's attached to the transfer case) and have someone look inside see what it does. It could be the speedo itself, maybe the innards are stripped out. Either way, it can only be the gear on the tcase, the cable, or the speedo itself.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Look at the drive gear on the end of the cable and THE WORM gear inside the tail shaft of the transfer case. Mine wore out over time and eventually led to shifting issues with my E4OD. (It caused the VSS to receive a bad signal). You can't really tell what it is like from feeling or looking, but if you take the tail shaft off and visually inspect it you should be able to tell.

tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts