Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedo doesn't work in the first five miles or so at the beginning of the day, but will work the rest of the day. Does this make and sense? I took off the instrument cluster and didn't see anything wrong. I has a fresh rebuilt 351 in it and didn't have this problem ten years ago when it was last driven. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Mine used to do the same thing. I used some 3 in1 oil on the back of the speedo and it hasnt happened since.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
There's also the potential of a worn speedo driven gear. There may be flat spots and it finally catches or worn teeth that take a while to mesh.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm... I have an extra speedo cable, might have to dig into it and see if some of the teeth are broke. Thanks for the replys.

Black

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
might have to dig into it and see if some of the teeth are broke. Thanks for the replys.

Black
If it's the driven gear, you just need to replace the $10 gear and the $2 clip, no need to swap cables. I'd also venture to say that the drive gear could be worn, but it's my experience when that goes, nothing registers. That's a tad harder to come by and is $70ish...and you need to dig in to the tcase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts