Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my 1987 bronco with an AOD home from work last night and there was a red light that is usually a flashing yellow and I braked hard. Not the first time I braked hard though. That is where I think it started but I am not for sure. I am pretty sure the odometer is moving at the same speed though which is weird. Could it be a broken speedometer, if I saw you can just replace the speedometer.

·
Super Moderator
14,444 Posts
@GriffinB, I'm pretty sure you're rig has a speedo drive gear in the transfer case. You might want to check that to see if it's stripped. That might be causing your problem.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yea +1 on the cable going into the transfer case. It might just not be tight on there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So should I check if it’s all
The way in there or take it out and see if the plastic gear is broken and not reading correctly.

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
K, I’ll take it off when I get home and look at the color then order it from JBG. Also should I leave the speedo cable if it looks in good condition.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still have not bought one as I gave been trying to make sure I get the right one. I have been using a gps speedometer on my phone and the speedometer on the truck has dropped to more normal levels but still not very accurate.
Would I choose the “driven gear needed” for what I need. Meaning I would need to get either a 16 or 17 tooth speedo gear.

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts
Yo G,
The drive gear is the one which is turned by engine power, usually mounted right on the transmission output shaft. The driven gear is the one which is "driven" by the "drive" gear, and is connected to the speedometer cable.

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok that is what I figured. So should I go off the calculations on that website and go for a wine or white. Or stick with the yellow one I have in which at the moment if it is not worn out is still inaccurate.

·
Super Moderator
23,344 Posts
Yo G,
It's your choice. Driven gear may deteriorate further, and that will help you decide.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts