Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need the clip that holds the speedometer gear onto the end of the cable that goes to the tranny. Anyone know where to get one??????? Btw it is for my 1986 F150 in my sig.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea nevermind I was on the phone with broncograveyard today they have one for $1.00 buit it'll cost $10.00 to ship it.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was saying but I don't even know how to pop them off the gear. I tried on the 88' but no luck.

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok got a clip for it. Now I have another problem, I can take the cable out of the hole where it goes and spin it by hand and the speedo will go up to about 10 mph, BUT when I put it back in the hole and bolt it down and take it for a ride to see if it works, it doesn't move at all....... WTF?????????????

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
Probably a worn drive gear in the t-case. There's a few threads on this board that show what the speedo drive gear looks like.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Ok got a clip for it. Now I have another problem, I can take the cable out of the hole where it goes and spin it by hand and the speedo will go up to about 10 mph, BUT when I put it back in the hole and bolt it down and take it for a ride to see if it works, it doesn't move at all....... WTF?????????????
JFB

I just bought an 84" replacement speedometer inner drive cable because my 86's speedo has been out since December.

I wasn't even going to fix the speedo, because I can drive by the tach. Now my fuel tank sending float has submerged and without the odometer or gauge I have no idea how much gas I've got.

I'm guessing we may have the same problem. I assumed the cable was rounded, from square, or busted at either the transfer case end or just inside the speedo.

I'm hoping to pull my old inner cable all the way out from below (because I'm lazy and HATE working under the dash:toothless) and stuff the new one all the way up into the speedo and cut it off to length.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'd like to thank Ryan and Dustball for the pics. That's gonna be helpful.

Gotta thank you too JFB, for reminding me to keep an eye on them clips ! I'll be careful.

Found any links on them drive gears ? Keep us posted. I got another complete speedo/tach cluster, but I'm hoping it's not that, just the cable.

Sixlitre

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I'm going to buy a new 18 tooth speedo gear, and I am going to jack the rear of the truck up off the ground with a bumper jack and disconnect the speedo cable BUT leave the gear in the hole, start the truck and put it in 1st gear, get out climb under and see if it is spinning in the hole. If it does I'll put the gear back on the cable, plug it in, disconnect it from the dash and do it all over again to see if it is broke or not. And thanks for the link :)thumbup).

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Well I'm going to buy a new 18 tooth speedo gear, and I am going to jack the rear of the truck up off the ground with a bumper jack and disconnect the speedo cable BUT leave the gear in the hole, start the truck and put it in 1st gear, get out climb under and see if it is spinning in the hole. If it does I'll put the gear back on the cable, plug it in, disconnect it from the dash and do it all over again to see if it is broke or not. And thanks for the link :)thumbup).
Update please !

Sixlitre

1 - 16 of 16 Posts