Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1985 XLT Bronco

I have read a bunch of posts regarding speedo issues, but just have a few direct questions. My odometer works, but the speedo reads sporadically, and always low, topping out around 25mph. Since the odometer works, I assume I can rule out the cable or the gear. The tachometer also reads intermittently and seems to rest around 1000 regardless of rpms when driving it. Occasionally it will react. Could these problems be related to the voltage regulator in the cluster? Does the speedometer have any rebuildable parts or lube-able components? The temp and oil pressure and battery all seem to read correctly - does this rule out the constant voltage regulator? Thanks for any help and sorry to post another speedo question. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone.

·
Super Moderator
29,457 Posts
Yo rharris,
Welcome to our Big Bronco Family!
Will bbl or tomorrow the speedometer issue.

In meantime
1985 Bronco Dealer Brochure via Gary @ 1985 Bronco - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

1985 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary

1985 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

Ford Manual Transmissions @ Ford Truck Manual Transmissions – Blue Oval Trucks

1985 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Ford via Gary

1985 Bronco/F Series Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary

80-86 Bronco Differences by Gary @ 1980 - 86 Ford Trucks - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Fasteners & Illustrations by Gary @ Ford 1980-86 Pickup Fasteners - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

1985 Exterior Colors& Codes by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

For any Bronco questions or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories which requires at least non-padded 50 posts to buy, sell or trade due to scammers who preyed on our members many times.

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) including, "how do I get the tailgate glass to...", etc.

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Forum FAQs includes for example, Hot to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Year Contest & in the next year, Full-Size of the Year Year @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted and a years worth of premium FSB membership!
Al

·
Super Moderator
29,457 Posts
Yo, our guests are late!
Cable & Speedometer Head "... Speedometers get into trouble when cables bind or magnetic heads cease due to the absence of lubrication. Like the humble car clock, speedometers need periodic maintenance, too. The spinning speedometer head needs occasional lubrication (speedometer-head lubricant). Pull the cluster out, disconnect the cable, and feed modest doses of lubricant into the head once a year. Don't overdo it. While you're at it, pull the speedometer cable out and bathe it in white grease and a low-viscosity engine oil. This combination will keep it happy for thousands of miles..." MIESK5 NOTE; Some Speedo ends (at Speedo) are held on by a plastic clip: place Index finger on Metal Tube & thumb on plastic ring flat surface; Press Flat Surface of clip & Pull Cable from Speedo (Ford calls the speedo end the Head; or screwed on:Turn the cable end counterclockwise to disconnect. You may need an open end wrench. This is by Chilton for an 85 Bronco; 1.Remove the instrument cluster as previously described. Remove the lens and the mask from the cluster. 3.Disconnect the speedometer cable. 4.Remove the speedometer attaching screws and remove the unit. To install: 5.Position the speedometer to the pack plate and install the two attaching screws. 6.Examine the square drive hole for sufficient lubrication. If required, apply a 3/16 inch dab of lubricant (B5AZ-19581-A or equivalent) in the drive hole. 7.Reconnect the speedometer cable. Total Cable replacement; 1.Reach up behind the cluster and disconnect the cable by depressing the quick disconnect tab and pulling the cable away. 2.Remove the cable from the casing. If the cable is broken, raise the vehicle on a hoist and disconnect the cable from the transmission. 3.Remove the cable from the casing. 4.To remove the casing from the vehicle, pull it through the floor pan. 5.To replace the cable, slide the new cable into the casing and connect it at the transmission. 6.Route the cable through the floor pan and position the grommet in its groove in the floor. 7.Push the cable onto the speedometer head..."

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The tachs are prone to bleed out glue that can foul up the circuit board. There’s a great tach restoration thread over in the 80-86 section at Ford Truck Enthusiasts.

It does sound like your Speedo unit is on its way out. You can pull the cable out of the t-case just to verify both gears are present, but if your odometer is good then gear loss seems less likely.

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You can pull the cable out of the t-case just to verify both gears are present
Drill confirms cable and Speedo are good. Gear on cable is good and I can see a tan/yellowing gear in the transfer case. How does the gear inside come out? The inside gear moves back and forth and spins freely on the shaft it’s on.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Do you have an intermediate connection in t he cable for a cruise control module? One other place you could have some slippage.

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It does have cruise, which works when I can get the Speedo reading above 25. Ccw with drill at the case end registers the Speedo. I’m confused on how the gear in the case spins the gear on the cable, since it just spins freely inside the case. I also haven't found any replacement drive gears - only the driven gear. There is a seller on ebay that makes them and they are $58 - ouch.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
16,574 Posts
All I can add is my speedo was growling heavily at me for a bit. Then the needle fell off. I swapped in a whole set of autometer gauges with a GPS speedo. I did nothing to the speedo cable except unhook it from the old cluster. The growl was coming from the speedo itself!

·
Premium Member
1985 Bronco XLT 5.0
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the drive gear out today and found that the gear was spinning freely on the drive gear shaft. I re-glued it to the shaft since the gear was in good shape. So far the speedo works - well see how long the glue holds up. I did check with the guy who makes them and he said his gears are glued on the shaft as well so i figured i would try glue before dropping $60 on a new gear. I do have a question regarding the operation - the drive gear shaft spins freely inside the transfer case. There aren't any key ways to hold it in place to the output shaft. How does the shaft spin accordingly for the speedo to register consistently? Does the yolk 'pinch' the drive gear shaft once it is installed and properly torqued? I did check the speedo with gps and its on. I guess it's time to work on getting the tach reading.

·
Registered
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
1,765 Posts
Does the yolk 'pinch' the drive gear shaft once it is installed and properly torqued? I did check the speedo with gps and its on. I guess it's time to work on getting the tach reading.
I believe this video will aswer that question:

Some info from this post from another forum: speedo drive gear? - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

OK, my manual says very little, so no help there. It seems the new gear you get is pressed onto the metal sleeve. I searched around the internet and found this on another site, there's alot of discussion about it when I googled "BW 1345 transfer case speedometer drive gear"

"There is NO ball holding the speedo gear in place like the later model BW 1356, the 1345 uses a steel sleeve that has the speedo gear pressed onto it. What holds the sleeve/speedo gear in place on the output shaft is the pressure of the rear output yoke of the transfer case once torqued to specification."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts