Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm going through the front end and need the keystone clamp that secures the large end of the rubber boot on the TTB passenger-side slip shaft. I picked up a couple keystone clamps for the smaller end from JBG, but they don't have a listing for the larger clamp.

I really don't want to use a hose clamp, CV boot clamps, or anything similar. I would like to use the factory Spicer-made clamp that was originally used by Ford because I feel like being picky about this for some reason.

Anyone have a part number or reference for locating? I don't remember seeing anything on RockAuto, but I could've been wrong.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
I'm not certain on the difference between what was on the boot and that I've seen on CV axle shafts. I have bought the clamps at Napa before but they were adjustable. Are the clamps you're wanting not adjustable?

I used plastic zip ties a couple times with no issues so far.

·
Super Moderator
23,351 Posts
Yo,
NAPA is good, especially if you find an eager person to go through their catalogs to find the correct size.

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not OEM Ford, but got mine from Napa when I went through my front end. Looked just like the old one. Had them in stock too.
I don't suppose you have a part number by any chance? No biggie if you don't. I can just bring the old one I remove for sizing.

I have bought the clamps at Napa before but they were adjustable. Are the clamps you're wanting not adjustable?
No... they're Keystone clamps and are a "one shot" install kinda deal. Slip them over the boot, grab the compression tab with keystone pliers, and squeeze. Done. I really can't say why I wanna be picky about this, because I'm usually not that anal about trivial things (unless it's like a concours item or something) but I'm just in a weird mood to try to nail this part of my project.

..... and I have a set of keystone pliers I don't use nearly enough to justify having purchased.

Yo,
NAPA is good, especially if you find an eager person to go through their catalogs to find the correct size.
Shortest. miesk. post. ever. :histerica

"Eager" parts store people are hit-and-miss around here. "Competent" ones, however, are rare as hen's teeth.

This is a good enough lead gentlemen. Looks like NAPA is the go-to for this part.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,272 Posts
this is what i was able to get at napa. it sounds like what you're wanting - except that they're not the exact correct diameter.

the clamps use the pinch style but the diameter is adjustable.

and then you clamp with these pliers

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Spicer part number is 40503-3 but its obsolete, but here is the exact replacement
https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/NDT-40540-3.html
Awesome! That'll work, sir. Thank you. I can use that number for a cross reference at NAPA. The Spicer part number for the smaller clamp is 40540-4 (in case anyone reads this thread in the future). So, to simplify:

Large clamp Spicer part number: 40503-3 (obsolete)
Small clamp Spicer part number: 40540-4 (available)

this is what i was able to get at napa. it sounds like what you're wanting - except that they're not the exact correct diameter.

the clamps use the pinch style but the diameter is adjustable.

and then you clamp with these pliers
Yep. Those are the style pliers I have. I'll look into that clamp if NAPA doesn't carry a match for the one mentioned by JScatt.

i know its not exactly what you want but could use exhaust wrap ties. i believe they are reusable and readily available at any auto parts store
I'll try for the keystone clamps first, if I can get them, but that's a great "trail repair" suggestion. Those could be used for all sorts of things. Kinda like zip ties on steroids.

·
Premium Member
5,754 Posts
Northern Drivetrain should have both if you don't have any luck at Napa

·
Registered
425 Posts
Interesting, never heard those referred to as a keystone clamp, either as a pinch clamp or by brand name, Oetiker clamp. Keystone makes sense though given how they look/work.

I home brew and keg, so use them all the time. In SS they are also great for aquarium plumbing - even submerged in salt water.

Others have given likely better sources, but if you get desperate or need an odd size, McMaster-Carr carries a wide selection.

·
Eric
2,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just as a note to tie this thread up:

NAPA "didn't have" the keystone clamps. First dude I spoke with didn't even know what a keystone clamp was. When I started describing it, he immediately went for a worm-drive hose clamp. Told me he didn't have anything like I was describing, even after I showed him a picture of the friggin' thing. Some of these younger "parts guys" should've stuck to flipping burgers. Anyway, the old clamps I removed were made by Oetiker and part numbers are 545 (larger clamp) and 440 (smaller clamp). Everything I've taken off/apart on the TTB so far appears to be factory original, so I'm not sure if these are the original clamps or not. However, since these seem to be a pain to track down I thought I'd supply a couple links to make sourcing these easier.

First, here's an exploded view of the D50 TTB with associated parts numbers. The D44 will use the same boot clamps: https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/c724_dana_50_ifs_front_ford.html

As @JScatt mentioned a reference to Northern Drivetrain's site earlier, here is the boot with the two links to the associated clamps at the top of the page: https://www.northerndrivetrain.com/product/SPI-40929.html

For anyone getting mixed up on part numbers, clamp sizes, location, or sourcing, these two links should help piece the info together so people can have reference material for tracking them down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts