Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the outer u joint on the pass side front axle shaft of my 82, and broke the the ends of both axles that connect to it. I am trying to remove the spindle and pull both shafts out, but the top spindle nut will not come off. Slotted nut came off and the locking collar is off but the last nut will not budge, any help here please?

·
Try it now!!
9,120 Posts
Not sure what parts you are referring to. "Top spindle nut" to me is one of the 6 small ones that hold the spindle to the knuckle (behind the rotor).

Or are your referring to the large nuts that hold the bearings on the spindle?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure, the axle comes out and has a hole in the top and the bottom, then I thought the spindel bolts in to those two bolts and turns back and forth when turning the wheel. I am refering to the top bolt am i wrong here

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope, they bolt down on top of the axle, like the bolt comes up through the top part of the axle and the bolt holds it there. There are two bolts like this, one on top and one on bottom and i figured take them both out and the whole spindle, hub stuff would come off since the shaft is broken, the bottom one came off but the top one wont.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
Be more specific. Is the hub/rotor assembly off? Which nut in specific are you referring to?

EDIT- NVM, you say the hub wont come off. Which means you arent talking about the stub nuts, since you cant even see them. Can you get a pic?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
He's got to be talking about the ball joints castle nuts.
If that IS in fact the case, I dont know why he would say they have anything to do with the spindle and shafts comming out. Or the hub/rotor assembly not comming of either.

Once again, pics would help alot.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
He's a bit lost. He's referring to the upper ball joint nut. That's not how you remove an axle shaft.

Short version: Lift wheel, remove wheel and tire. Remove caliper. Unbolt and remove locking hub. Remove spacers and such from axle, then remove bearing retainer nuts shown above. Remove outer bearing, then pull the whole hub/rotor off the spindle. Remove ABS shield and sensor, if equipped, then remove the nuts holding the spindle to the knuckle (6 of them, usually). Pull the spindle out of the knuckle. Then you can slide the axle shaft out through the hole in the knuckle.

Removing the BJ nuts could then be done, if you wanted to remove the knuckle and replace your BJs, but you don't have to to remove the axle shaft. All of this is laid out in Chiltons or Haynes, by the way, and Steve83 has a nice exploded diagram in his supermotors.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
here he's describing slotted nut (castle nut) caster bushing(locking collar) that is what i make out of his description
I agree, that is what he could be talking about, but balljoints have nothing to do with spindle and axle shaft removal. So he shouldnt even be messing with them in the first place.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
He's a bit lost. He's referring to the upper ball joint nut. That's not how you remove an axle shaft.

Short version: Lift wheel, remove wheel and tire. Remove caliper. Unbolt and remove locking hub. Remove spacers and such from axle, then remove bearing retainer nuts shown above. Remove outer bearing, then pull the whole hub/rotor off the spindle. Remove ABS shield and sensor, if equipped, then remove the nuts holding the spindle to the knuckle (6 of them, usually). Pull the spindle out of the knuckle. Then you can slide the axle shaft out through the hole in the knuckle.

Removing the BJ nuts could then be done, if you wanted to remove the knuckle and replace your BJs, but you don't have to to remove the axle shaft. All of this is laid out in Chiltons or Haynes, by the way, and Steve83 has a nice exploded diagram in his supermotors.
sounds like he wants to skip all the steps and just remove knuckle

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
sounds like he wants to skip all the steps and just remove knuckle
Which is completly retarded, since it will all have to come apart anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
Yep, okay thanks for the help, how do you remove the disc?
Disc?..and in brake disc??:shocked

Step away from the truck and put down the tools..not likely you have the Dana spindle nut wrench amongst them anyway. You need to do some very basic searchin and learnin before you try anything else. Not flaming here..just a simple observation and suggestion...

·
Registered
2,132 Posts

Everything you need is highlighted in red

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
There's actually a nice thread on this running right now, called "complete TTB rebuild" or something like that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts