Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my previous tire carrier spindle failed and it was time to replace it. The previous spindle had a grease fitting on the top of the pin (which is a stupid design) because it sacrificed the strength of the spindle. I found the bumper in a junkyard so that is what you get when you do not know who/when it was fabricated.

The new spindle is solid and 1 inch diameter. I know that guys usually use much bigger ones but my outer sleeve was machined with races and bearings to fit this size spindle so it was much easier. I just removed the old spindle and welded the new one to the same spot and added some gussets. I thought I'd post some pictures incase somebody needs some ideas for future reference.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Looking good. My dilemma is to replace bumpers or fabricate around the he existing bumpers. I've grown fond of the look of my 86.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
That's pretty cool, I was looking for something like this.
Where did you get the spindle? was it fabricated on a lathe or did you buy it somewhere?
What sort of race/bearings are you using, if any?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's pretty cool, I was looking for something like this.
Where did you get the spindle? was it fabricated on a lathe or did you buy it somewhere?
What sort of race/bearings are you using, if any?
There is a shop near me that work on trailers and 4x4's so they had a ton of different trailer spindles in stock. The spindle I used had a square base so it was easy to line up against the face of the bumper. I'm using Timken bearings that I got at the same shop with a grease fitting on the outside of the outer sleeve.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There is a shop near me that work on trailers and 4x4's so they had a ton of different trailer spindles in stock. The spindle I used had a square base so it was easy to line up against the face of the bumper. I'm using Timken bearings that I got at the same shop with a grease fitting on the outside of the outer sleeve.
That helps me out in my search. I have conversed with a few people about building a rear bumper with the swing away carrier but I just couldn't figure out what to use for the spindle. This helps out quite a bit. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just thought I would post some pictures of my bumper upgrades/ refresh here just incase people would like to see ideas for their builds...
- new trailer lights
- license plate bracket on spare w/ led light
- repainted w/ truck bed liner (real durable)
- new trailer pin
- 4-way trailer connector from all lights on bumper to the truck for easy bumper removal (not pictured)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just thought I would post some pictures of my bumper upgrades/ refresh here just incase people would like to see ideas for their builds...
- new trailer lights
- license plate bracket on spare w/ led light
- repainted w/ truck bed liner (real durable)
- new trailer pin
- 4-way trailer connector from all lights on bumper to the truck for easy bumper removal (not pictured)

looks great!

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
anyone have a link to order a spindle for building a swing out tire carrier off the bumper?

·
Premium Member
84 Bronco, 351w, c6, custom doubler, np208, 5.13’s, TTB44, 9”, locked f/r
830 Posts
Etrailer.com trailer spindle? Or use a spare d44 spindle and hub, then you have a spot to store a trail spare locking hub

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,943 Posts
Etrailer.com trailer spindle? Or use a spare d44 spindle and hub, then you have a spot to store a trail spare locking hub
Etrailer.com or Northern Tool. But I like the spare d44 spindle and hub idea, especially because it allows you to lock the carrier open at any angle.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,797 Posts
the D44 spindle is awesome i agree.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts