Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around fori nformation about lining the inside of the Bronco and was just wondering what people who have used both thought. Like why the spray in cost so much more. Or if the roll on is weaker or has more of a likelyhood to peel. Basiclly i was just wondering in the spray in is worth the money or if its just for lazy people who dont want to deal with the work. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
I used Herculiner roll-on in one rig..and had an EB and my '78 BB Line-x'ed. No comparison can even be made as far as I am concerned. The Line-X looks far better, permanently covers holes up to 1/2" diameter, and is impervious to any kind of abuse I have been able to throw at it for 5 years straight. Much easier to clean than the Herculiner too. Worth every penny..I think I paid over $700 to have the entire interior done including 12" up around the sides, door sills and the tailgate.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow thats alot cheaper than i thought it would be for the whole truck! I figured there was a catch to the low price of Herculiner. That isnt the first time i have heard Herculiner is hard to clean either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used roll on herculiner for my bronco. It works, came out nice, but it really doesn't compare to spary on. Spray on looks better, works better, and it stronger. With roll on, you need to do several coats to make it comparable in strength, and you really need to make sure you have the surface clean and wire brushed for it to hold. When I put it on, I put more in high use areas(cargo area) and less in low use areas(under the seats, etc.). It works for what I need for(hunting truck), but it doesn't look as nice as the spray on nor is it as strong. I have had to go back and apply some more in areas where it was scratched through to the metal, something that you wouldn't have to do with spray on. I just bought the rattle can version and apply a few sprays until it looks ok.

For me, it was a cost issue rather than a cosmetic issue. It cost me around $100 to roll it on instead of $5-800. To me, that meant I could do it over 5x and still be ahead financially, and I needed the money for other projects, mainly a new engine. If it was my everday driver, I would probably use spray on, but for my uses, roll on is fine.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I just finished using durabak using a roller and brush and I am very happy with the end product. If I would have had the money to do it though I would have had it sprayed proffesionally. The spray liners usually are warrantied so if there is a problem than they will fix it, the shops do this all the time and can prep it faster than most of us plus they have all the perfect tools etc.
One plus to doing yourself though is you can reroute wires, plug holes, as you see fit instead of having someone else guess. I did find the durabak messy but the texture is nice, I would recommend using 2 gallons though for a bronco I went with 1 and I did get 2 coats but I think 3 or 4 would be a little better. In the end I feel its really a matter of how much abuse are you going to give the interior, in my truck I am going to get it rhino lined as I am harder on it not that the durabak is giving any indication of being weak mind you its more for my piece of mind. One last thought the line X is unique in that is applied under high pressure and at iirc 300 F, each coat cures in 3-5 seconds where the durabak takes 4-7 days to cure and I believe rhino takes 48 hours. I am not sure if this helped but at least its some more info to make your decision.

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
I herculined the inside of my bronco and it aint hard to clean at all, if it is muddy i use a water hose and my leaf blower, and if it is just dusty i use my leaf blower. whats the problem

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've used both and the herculiner is only as good as the prep job that you do. I never had a problem cleaning it either just like mlikeojnow said use a hose and sray it clean. That is why you put liner in any way. Instead of using a wire brush to clean before you apply use a wire brush on an electri drill. It's way easier and does a better job. Also get one of those attacments for your drill to mix paint and stir the Herculiner with it often. I wouldn't even consider a spray in liner again because doing two coats with Herc. is still $500. cheaper and that buys something else for my truck.

·
Had a mullet in HS
1,084 Posts
Bamataco1 said:
herculiner is only as good as the prep job that you do.
Thats true with any of them

I prepped the shit out of my bronco before I Durabak'd it

and it was tough as nails.....it would take bark off the trees it rubbed.....and my skin if I walked too close :banghead

Sanding/scuffing and cleaning is priority 1 regardless of what method it's applied.

Sprayed costs so much because the nossle used has to be so big and maint. on the equipment is a bitch. There is SO MUCH waste because of the hose and the amount of liner thats wasted when that 70 ft of hose is cleaned daily. (from what the Line-X dude that did my bed told me) And forget custom colors....it cost 2X or 3X as much as black, because they have to purge all the black out, then waste so much color waiting for all the contaminants to get out and spray JUST that special color :doh0715:

However, spray on does cover SO much better than roll on, AND it gets in all the nooks and hard corners that rollers can't match

I'd price having it sprayed. Take it to them ALREADY scuffed and cleaned and it'll save you tons of money

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yeah prep work is key. i totally stripped most of my cab and primered it before i put the herculiner down. if you do herculiner, after you do it close it up for a week to let it cure and form then open it up for a week and let it air out.

ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've had the Herc. in the bed of my f-150 for five yrs., used two gals. Haul everything back there bricks, shoveled at least 10 yrds of lava rock out of it, motors, trans. you name it. The only thing that ever gouged it was a 1200 lb. pallet of landscape blocks that had a nail sticking through the bottom, the nail bit in when the hi-low slid the pallet back. It's not hard to clean just hose it out, if it's real dirty just use a still broom.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think im gonna go with the spray in just based on what everyone is saying about the quality of it. Herculiner sounds good enough, but the warranty is a big plus. Ill get some quotes and do some number crunching and let you guys know what comes out on top...for my situation. Thanks again for all the input

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone used Durabak or any other liner on their wheels? I think i have heard of it but im not sure if it would work. If so pics would be awesome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts