Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
If you move the buckets up you'll run into some trouble on the drivers side because of the steering box if you plan to bolt it on. If you weld it on it shouldn't be an issue but you'll probley need to cut out some of your inner finder well.

If you go that rout, you'll need to gusset the back side of the bucket to the top of the frame rail or the leverage of the vehicle weight will bend the bucket since there's no bottom support and there's not alot of material mounted to the side of the frame rail.

Since to do that you'll need to cut the bottom lip of the 78 bucket off, I'd suggest you weld a 3/16 plate to the back side of the bucket. The plate should be the length and width of the remaining mounting surface of the bucket and long enough to place the bucket at your desired height and extend down 3/16 past the bottom of the frame rail. Next gusset it on each side from the new material to the angled portion of the bucket. Then weld on perpendicular tabs on the bottom and bolt them to the bottom side of the frame rail. Stiil gusset the back side to the top of the frame rail.

Just a referance of the height of the spring bucket. Sorry, could only find a pic of the pass side.:shrug

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
dogonmut said:
If you move the buckets up you'll run into some trouble on the drivers side usset the back side to the top of the frame rail.

cut most of this post so as to save space, but

Scott, I dont think what you recommend is mandatory, tho prolly a good idea. our buddy bill with the chevy has no lower lip on his and the integrity of the bucket has been fine. His frame is boxed, however, and he had to put steel plate behind the bucket for a smooth mounting surface, but again, the bucket is not reinforced.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
dogonmut said:
No they are not the same height. The 78/79 buckets are shorter by about 1.5".
I would argue this one too. The older ones are at best about .5 to 1" max taller. i will see if I can find a pic i took to prove this. The gain/loss from the buckets can really only be had from lowering the buckets IMHO, which is a popular EB mod to retain factory-like coil lengths. Personally i wouldnt plan on the buckets changin much if I were planning my sas again. I spent a lot of time worrying about final ride height when I did mine, only to find out is was wasted time.

·
....ehhh
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah i measered them both out, and the 80+ buckets
measured within an inch of the 78-79 buckets.

I am using the 6 - 6.5 " lift coils for a 79 Bronco, I know that the 78-79 springs are 2 " taller than my 84, so will the new lift total be 8 - 8.5"?

And I noticed that your picture of the buckets you had three bolts in the side, and two in the bottom of the bucket, Is that enough, or did you also weld it?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Well if that don't beat all. I stand corrected.

I try not to speak out of turn and only on subjects I actually have 1st hand knowledge about. I'm very sorry for the misinformation.

Please remember, I smoked a lot of crack as a young child and I think the blows from kick boxing are starting to have an effect.:wacko

Sorry again for the misinfromation.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
plug ugly said:
Scott, I dont think what you recommend is mandatory, tho prolly a good idea. our buddy bill with the chevy has no lower lip on his and the integrity of the bucket has been fine. His frame is boxed, however, and he had to put steel plate behind the bucket for a smooth mounting surface, but again, the bucket is not reinforced.
I tend to build things extra beefy to prevent unforseen failure. Some may call it over kill but I haven't seen any of my fab work fail (I'm currently knocking on wood).

You really don't need the tabs on the bottom side as long as you weld the bottom side of the plate to the frame. I would still recommend the gusseting.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
dogonmut said:
Well if that don't beat all. I stand corrected.

I would be interested to see if there are some variances between the years tho. Lots of people are of the same opinion as you had Scott, and I only measured becasue it was a topic of debate while i had mine sitting off in the garage.

I cant see why there would an difference, but it is ford so you never know for sure

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 1979 ford bronco and i need the front coil buckets. does anyone know what will work on it, and where i can get these. Will the late model bronco buckets work? Thanks

1 - 20 of 21 Posts